Ploshkin

Re: Looms and Weaving in General
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2021, 17:26:08 PM »
I had planned on a stand for a 24"
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2021, 19:22:44 PM »
I would have thought you'd need 32" or 3 6" to get a usable size panel. What could you make that's only 10 or 16" wide? ?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2021, 21:48:47 PM »
I'm a million miles from that stage yet but you can weave fabric double the width of the loom.  It is woven in 2 layers with a fold down one side.
My mission is to make a garment from something I have woven.  24" is ample to cut garment pieces from.

Lowena

« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2021, 22:15:14 PM »
Really,is it? I'm surprised  :S
My friend made a dress from wool that she spun, dyed and then wove  :S

Ploshkin

« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2021, 07:30:13 AM »
Really,is it? I'm surprised  :S
Do you mean surprised that I want to weave fabric for a garment?  @Lowena   or that 24" is ample?

It's simply that I enjoy the process of garment making.  I'm (so far) enjoying the process of weaving and I like to produce practical things.  I'm not into decorative stuff and frippery and I enjoy the challenge of doing something I've never done before.  I may never do it again but I'm going to give it a go.

You couldn't cut any garment from 24" but there are plenty of things that could be cut from that - no part of my body has a circumference of anything like 48" so I should be able to get a front or back out of 24'.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 07:38:53 AM by Ploshkin »

Efemera

Silver Rose

« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2021, 09:21:03 AM »
Thanks for that link @Efemera , I was wondering about how wide the cloth would have to be to make a garment. I am more and more intrigued with weaving.
Still learning

Celia

« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2021, 09:24:10 AM »
Thank you for that link it is brilliant @Efemera I shall be lost now down another rabbit hole :loveit: :loveit:

Lowena

« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2021, 10:16:31 AM »
Not surprised at the garment making @Ploshkin I know you're very accomplished. I thought any fabric would have to be at least 36" wide to be of any use . I didn't know it would be doubled.
Didn't mean to insult your ability or size, I'm just ignorant :|
I'm still interested in getting a loom but won't comment any more and show myself up :|
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 11:46:27 AM by Lowena »

Ploshkin

« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2021, 11:37:22 AM »
No @Lowena you are not showing yourself up at all (where's that finger wagging emoji)
It would be extremely rare to get commercially produced cloth anything less than 36" (I think I might have had some handwoven Harris Tweed a tad narrower about 40 years ago) and you are not a garment maker so there is no reason for you to have ever considered what width of cloth might be needed for a garment.  Until a couple of weeks ago I had absolutely no idea whatsoever that you could weave double cloth on a simple loom, I've just come across it in my weaving googlings.
I didn't interpret what you said as an insult to my ability or size at all - I simply put down my thought process on the matter - I may very well come unstuck when I actually try and do it  :) 
When I am teaching (beekeeping) I am always glad of the people who are willing to ask questions, even the most basic ones, because I am sure that there are others sitting there who were wondering the same thing but didn't like to ask and are grateful that someone else has.
So carry on asking but I know very little about this weaving lark so blind leading the blind comes to mind  :D  Fortunately there are others who know much more than me.

BriarRose

« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2021, 17:55:35 PM »
Somewhere I have a pattern for a medieval dress made from narrow widths of fabric with no an inch of fabric wasted due to the way the pieces were cut. The fabric cut from the skirt to curve the hem was used to make the bell sleeves. Very clever. The Irish bog coat is another classic garment made from handwoven fabric with minimum cutting/waste. Folkwear Patterns out of North Carolina in the USA offers a Kinsale cloak pattern with a version designed for people who don't want to cut handwoven fabric.  I made one from non-handwoven fabric and it was an amazingly warm garment. Alas, alas, the wool moths got it.  :headbang: :boohoo: Cloak
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

Ploshkin

« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2021, 13:13:40 PM »
I've dug up this old thread so that the loom information is in one place.
I've been and gorn and dunnit again @Celia
Having thought I was settled on a 24" Ashford Rigid Heddle loom you sent me round the loop again with the link to the Schacht looms.  I had been looking at those previously.  I think I was prevaricating a bit because I was unsure of the 24" width.  Having done a small amount on my  10" loom I was thinking that 24" shuttles might be a bit unwieldy so I have gone for a compromise and have just ordered a 20" Schacht Flip loom.  I see from earlier in this thread that you have one Celia.  I will never need its folding function but I like the fact that it has additional cloth beams and would think those make for better tension.  An added bonus is that I won't have to put it together and wax it  :) I have also seen only very good reviews of Schacht stuff.
If I decide I want to go larger I will have a table loom.
So, I will await Mr Hermes or DPD or Fedex or a.n. other

Celia

« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2021, 14:27:02 PM »
 :dance:I am so pleased @Ploshkin I am sure you will like it, I love mine and you are right the cloth beams make all the difference, did you go for the floor stand too, I don’t have it but have been tempted.

I am as excited as you I am sure, can’t wait to see what you make. :loveit:

Ploshkin

« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2021, 14:43:00 PM »
Yes, I have ordered a stand.  I ordered the loom from Weft Blown but they don't have any stands in stock so I have got one from George Weil.  It's a lot more expensive than the Ashford but I have only seen good reports of the quality.  I'm looking forward to using it  :)

Celia

« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2021, 14:53:03 PM »
Weftblown are lovely they helped me a lot with all sorts of information. I  live near George Weil     and they are fine if you know what you want but not good on information and no help when you can’t make up your mind, I don’t feel they have the knowledge as they sell so many things but of course great for your stand.

Do let me know how you get on with the stand, him in doors was going to build me one,  so I just might buy one. I do have a table that I can use it with so I am still thinking.