The Sewing Place

Two-for-one bargain?

Mick

Two-for-one bargain?
« on: January 22, 2021, 23:03:06 PM »
Or just double the trouble?

I have a Singer model 66, that I use regularly. It is a lovely machine, but it’s hand-cranked and so a bit awkward for a clumsy git like me. I really need both hands to steer the fabric through the machine.

A treadle cabinet seemed like an interesting solution. Certainly more appropriate than sticking an electric motor on it.
So for a while, I’ve been looking for one to come up nearby at the right price.

Then this appeared on a Local For Sale group on Facebook.

The cabinet looked OK in the photos, and I was happy with the price it was offered at, even without the green electric machine fastened to it. That would just be a bonus.

My plan was to stick the green thing straight on Ebay, and so hopefully, almost end up with the cabinet for free.

I already have a modern, electric Singer, with all the good and bad things that go with owning a modern, electric Singer. So I didn’t need another machine.
No, really, I didn’t...

The seller turned out to be a charming lady, who had bought the whole set-up on a whim, and had never even tried to use it.
Besides, she had far too many other machines, and now wanted the space in her sewing room back. Hence the low price.

The cabinet itself was a bit tattier than the pictures suggest, but I was buying it for practicality, not to admire it’s beauty.

There were a couple of problems I could see with the treadle mechanism itself. The Pitman link was missing, as was the skirt guard and the little de-railing mechanism that pushes the belt off the flywheel when you want to fold the machine away.

It was still worth the asking price, even with the missing bits.

The guard was no problem, I don’t wear voluminous crinoline skirts when I sew, (or at any other time, honestly...) so getting my clothes tangled in the belt wasn’t really going to be an issue.

And I’m quite capable of de-railing a belt by hand, so I wouldn’t miss that gadget either.

That Pitman link though.
It’s the rod that connects the treadle plate to the flywheel, and without it the thing obviously won’t work.

Still, I’m a mechanical engineer by trade, so making a replacement was something I could do.

Buying a new leather drive belt, during the Christmas / Covid Lockdown period, turned out to be more of a challenge, but soon enough it was my eager little hands, and it was time to fit it all together.

I suppose it says something about the nature of the old Singer company that those little lollypop-shaped hinges that allow the machine to fold down into the cabinet, fitted perfectly into the  mounting holes in the 66, which was built in 1917, as well as the green machine, which dates to the mid 1960’s, and that the mounting center spacing in the cabinet had clearly never varied in all those years either, as everything lined up perfectly.
The cabinet’s actual date is a bit of a mystery, could be anywhere from the 1920’s to the early 40’s. Seems that once they had a successful design they tended to stick with it.

Anyway, historical research aside, how does it sew?

Like this…

“Treadle technique” takes a bit of getting used to, but once you can get the thing to start in the right direction every time, and not just snap the needle thread by going backwards, it’s a delight to use.

Quiet, perfectly controlled sewing speed, and both hands free to turn the corners.

Really enjoying it so far.

And as for the Green Meany ?

I’ll give you a clue.
It's never made it onto Ebay.

Updates to follow.  ;)

StitchinTime

Re: Two-for-one bargain?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 08:56:01 AM »
How lovely that you have the skills to replace the missing pieces and get the treadle working. I look forward to the next instalment about the green machine.
I wonder if treadling could be a new exercise for during lockdown?  :thinking:

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 09:04:42 AM »
The cabinet looks too utilitarian to be Art Deco to me (a better pic of the handle could help) might be 40's ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 09:16:57 AM »
I love the look of the green machine.  :)

I've never used a treadle (although I have t'Other Half's mum's tucked away somewhere, no space to have it out), but am I right in thinking that you give the handwheel(?) a good push in the right direction to start it off? 

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 10:12:09 AM »
That's a very nice setup @Mick .  Treadles need a certain knack, which you soon get.  It was my favourite machine at school where everybody else aimed for the new electric machines.

I had to laugh when you mentioned cranking your machine, I had visions of an old car with the hand crank at the front. Not a good comparison really, are you left handed, that might make it a bit strange to turn.

About a bargain, I was looking at Tysew, they have a very nice Bernina 1008S for a mere £4,995, if you anyone is interested. :laughing:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Mick

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 13:18:17 PM »

...but am I right in thinking that you give the handwheel(?) a good push in the right direction to start it off?

On this one the flywheel has been made deliberately out of balance, one side heavier than the other, so left to itself it always stops in the same position, with the Pitman just forward of top centre. So as long as you "heel" the treadle plate it always starts in the correct direction.
It's an ingenious piece of design that completely fails to work when the sewing machine is attached.

So to answer your question; yes, as with so many things in my life, it needs a gentle shove to get it going the right way.

:)

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 18:26:27 PM »
So to answer your question; yes, as with so many things in my life, it needs a gentle shove to get it going the right way.

:)

Sniggers quietly behind computer   :laughing: :laughing:

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 15:31:13 PM »
As soon as I saw the green "thing" I had a feeling you wouldn't want to part with it.
Well done

Mick

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 22:01:41 PM »
The cabinet looks too utilitarian to be Art Deco to me (a better pic of the handle could help) might be 40's ???

Now that I've had time for a closer look at the cabinet itself, @Iminei the more I think you are right.

This one is made from veneered blockboard, and held together by heavy steel knock-down fittings. Earlier cabinets would probably have been solid hardwood, and used traditional joinery.

Also, the hardware is fastened with cross-head screws. These weren't invented until the early 1930's, and not widely used until much later in that decade.

So yes, your "stylistic" estimate of the 1940's is probably pretty much spot on.

:thumbsup:

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 22:16:54 PM »
Looks like the Utility Furniture that my parents had just after the war
Triumph of hope over experience :D

charley

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 21:25:17 PM »
Such a beautiful cabinet and Lotus 66. Properly Art Deco.