The Sewing Place

Looking for advice on Stitch Lock versus Reverse?

Kayfersmum

Looking for advice on Stitch Lock versus Reverse?
« on: October 31, 2020, 22:58:19 PM »

Hope you are all keeping well,

My new whizzy machine has an option for Stitch Lock.  Is there any advice on which or when to use the stitch lock versus the reverse stitch?  :thinking:

Thanks in advance x
“I always wanted to be happy, so I decided to be.“

Ohsewsimple

Re: Looking for advice on Stitch Lock versus Reverse?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 23:10:22 PM »
Personal choice I think.  My lock stitch is fine but sloooooww.   So I tend to use reverse as it is faster.  However the lock stitches are neat.  No rules!   See what suits you.   :)

mudcat

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 23:26:27 PM »
What does the stitch lock do?  Many times I don't reverse at all but instead continually shorten the stitch lenght at the last 1/4 inch or so.

WendyW

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 01:27:28 AM »
My stitch lock repeatedly makes one stitch in the same place. It is SLOW. In most cases I just use the reverse, but there are times when the lock stitch is preferred. Sometimes I'll let the lock stitch do its bit while I'm pinning the next thing to sew, and it's good to use with the auto-cut in the middle of quilt where reaching the bottom thread to cut it is a major pain.

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 07:34:31 AM »
Sometimes a stitch lock ( especially at the beginning) can leave a lumpy tangle of threads on the underside.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 08:56:47 AM »
I use the Lock stitch function on the Juki quite a bit and like the fact it cuts the threads when you press the reverse button at the end of a seam.

However, as Efemera says, threads can occasionally bunch up underneath sometimes so if I’m doing something where the underside stitches will show, I tend to use reverse function instead.

Kayfersmum

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 09:10:01 AM »

Oooh that may explain the little jumble of stitches I sometimes see under my sewing, very helpful thank you.

@WendyW I know what you mean about slow

Helen M

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 10:17:32 AM »
The lockstitch is all very well unless you decide you need to unpick the seam.........I'd rather use the reverse stitch, it takes far less time and swearing to unpick!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 47

Kayfersmum

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 10:20:39 AM »

@Helen M now that’s a very good reason for me to use reverse!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 12:26:53 PM »
Some of us are old as the hills so using reverse comes naturally and looks normal. I also tend to shorten my stitch length.

I tend to not use the seam ripper. Not my thing.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

jintie

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 12:42:32 PM »
On old straight stitch machines with no reverse or hold, I have seen tailors manually stop  the machine from moving, to keep a stitch in place, then I cut it off.

Rottweiler with scissors

Sewingsue

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2020, 13:12:44 PM »
My first inclination is to stop, cut the threads and then tie off. I have to remind myself about reverse stitch - although I am getting better at remembering.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Tamnymore

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2020, 13:31:37 PM »
After zillions of years sewing I don't think I've come across a lockstitch. I'll have to check my machine. This means I always use a quick reverse stitch...... seeing as wot I didn't know any different up to now.  : :|
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Helen M

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2020, 14:08:26 PM »
I remember on a handcrank Singer stopping stitching with needle down, presser foot up, turn fabric around, presser foot down and stitching a couple of stitches!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 47

Lilian

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2020, 18:33:53 PM »
My machine has a stitch lock on it, I use it sometimes depending what I am doing. Mostly though I backstitch.  I thought all moderm machines had a stitch lock on them.
Willing but not always able :)