The Sewing Place

Novembers BOM - Final Assembly and Big Reveal

Iminei

Re: Novembers BOM
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2020, 09:31:29 AM »
AAAaaannnd first past the post is SUPERGRAN!!!!!!!

Congratulations thats beautiful!!

Donated ???  Who's the lucky recipient ???

You're still in the same place, yes? Which badge would you like Darling?? Let me know !!!  :D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 09:41:14 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Flobear

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2020, 09:53:01 AM »
My money's on a red flange .......  :)

Mind reading is just as bad
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

supergran

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2020, 18:58:27 PM »
@Iminei Thank you. The quilt has been given to a friend who loves anything I make, bless her.  <3
I didn't know there was a choice of badges, so either would be lovely, thank you.
Although we live in the same place, our town hall has changed the postal address slightly. Don't ask, this is Spain!  :rolleyes:
I'll message you with the updated address.

Thank you @Lilian . QAYG more often than not produces the thin sashing and mine was extra thin because I had to trim some of my blocks down to the correct size and to avoid losing all the pointy bits I took a deep breath and made the joining strips a little narrower. It was a bit tight in places!
Follow Iminei's instructions when you get to them and you'll be fine.

Kenora

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2020, 21:35:00 PM »
Lovely quilt @supergran - it looks really effective. <3

I spent all afternoon putting the first border on mine, only to discover that I'd accidentally moved the border out of line with the main quilt at the beginning of the seam - only by 1/4" but I still had to unpick it. :S Better luck tomorrow I hope. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

supergran

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2020, 22:11:43 PM »
Thank you @Kenora .

I hate it when that happens. I found myself unpicking more of this quilt then I ever have before. It seemed that if I could do something wrong, then I did! It nearly drove me mad at times and it was a relief when it was finished. Still, it worked out in the end. Yours is going to be gorgeous.

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2020, 11:03:08 AM »
Another tip, as it doesnt look like a BOM is in the offing today.

AFTER you've sewn your blocks/strips together with your horizontal/vertical joining strips ...

Pull them apart slightly as you press the strips open...

This will ensure all the strips are pressed open to their the maximum width and that the wadding underneath lies nice and flat within them.

Sandra

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2020, 11:31:42 AM »
Mine's joined together. It has a 2 inch border added and I've just got it spread out on the living room floor thinking about what colour to use for a flanged binding. Never done one before. Think it'll look nice on this.

I've narrowed it down to four from seven colours but two of these aren't really working for me.  :thinking: I think I know which colour I'll use but I'm awaiting input from Gertie...when she comes downstairs. (And if she's in the mood to offer her opinion.)
Sandra.
xxx

Puzzler

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2020, 11:48:41 AM »
Beautiful, @supergran.

supergran

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2020, 13:37:32 PM »
Thank you @Puzzler .

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2020, 16:08:41 PM »
Well at last not such a wasted day ... Four more blocks done only 6 left to quilt

There hope at the end of the tunnel girls.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 17:09:19 PM by Iminei »

Iminei

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2020, 17:10:16 PM »
Four more blocks quilted, just TWO left to do ...

I do hope you girls are getting your blocks quilted as a Tut is in the offing for next week!  :devil:

Acorn

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2020, 17:17:05 PM »
I'm all quilted, I'm just scared of the joining-y bit.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2020, 08:59:03 AM »
Dont be @Acorn  ... Its really easy!

It may get a lil cumbersome at the end of a BIG quilt, but with a maximum of 16 blocks you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about!

If you need anymore reassurance ask @Flobear  a first time quilter!

Kenora

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2020, 11:44:21 AM »
All done. :) Just hand stitching the binding when I sit in front of the TV each evening. Even got the embroidery unit out yesterday to make a label. :angel:
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Sandra

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2020, 08:50:22 AM »
Gertie spoke and without hesitation, she said, 'WHITE!' for the flange, so white it is. Finished it off yesterday evening.

Thanks, Imi,  :) for taking the time and going to the trouble of doing this for us again.

Sandra.
xxx