The Sewing Place

Novembers BOM - Final Assembly and Big Reveal

supergran

Re: Novembers BOM
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2020, 11:28:39 AM »
No Iminei, not received it yet. Our mail is getting worse, very little is getting here in a timely fashion. Some of us haven't had any post for a few weeks although my neighbours, (with a Spanish surname) seem to get theirs. Just saying.

Iminei

« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2020, 11:34:37 AM »
Mmmmnnn ... Just so you know I posted it on the 9th.

Having brought this up you'll probably get it tomorrow (fingers crossed)  0_0
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

supergran

« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2020, 11:42:00 AM »
Here's hoping. Our original post lady got knocked off her scooter and the new one now driving a van and probably has more deliveries to do. Just getting into the post office is a nightmare at the moment. Keeping my fingers crossed . :headbang:

Flobear

« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2020, 12:18:47 PM »
Ive only just noticed!!! Yes that Cherry red is not the cherry red I used!
Maybe the girl who picked it got it wrong...

I didn't think it was the same as your Cherry Red @Iminei , I would have noticed if yours was that orangey because it wouldn't have matched the red in my BOMs.

Anyway, now sorted, as you said. Can't do anything until Friday now because I have more clearing up and stuff to do before surveyor comes tomorrow and we have agreed to be out, with the dogs, when he comes.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 16:33:06 PM by Flobear »
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Pearl

« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2020, 16:29:40 PM »
I use a cherry Spraytime which is a dark red with a hint of black (the spray?). It doesn’t look orangey to me.

Flobear

« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2020, 16:39:11 PM »
Interesting @Pearl . It looks as if one person's cherry is another person's vermilion - or something!

Anyway, I have a newbie question for experienced binders. I have read right through the tut about binding but it's not mentioned - maybe it's so obvious that only a stupid person would ask it  :|

My assembled quilt measures 51" each side. I have cut the lengths for the binding and will assemble them on Friday. Before I pin it on, should I measure the binding in 51" chunks - apart from the first bit which starts in the middle - so I can make sure I don't accidentally stretch or squidge any of the sides and end up with not-a-perfect square when it's done?

Iminei

« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2020, 16:40:06 PM »
I think whomever picked the fabric for Flo's order picked the wrong thing ...
My cherry red was deep with hints of black too.
Never mind a stash is essential and Orange can add a zing to most other colours!

Flobear

« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2020, 16:42:15 PM »
My Christmas red isn't as dark as that but it works OK.

I seem to be collecting yellows and oranges by accident, they've never been colours I've warmed to!

Iminei

« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2020, 16:44:19 PM »
@Flobear  ... No! join the binding in one continuous length and if you get a join at the mitre  you have a join at the mitre but its never happened to me ... or if it has its not been a problem.

51" sides x 4 =204 / 42 = 4.857 = 5 x (Binding measurement usually 2 1/2" ) wof strips joined on the 45 degree angle and you'll be fine.

fajita

« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2020, 16:46:03 PM »
@Flobear When I do binding I make one long binding to go all the way round with a bit extra to account for corners and finishing overlap.

Ploshkin

« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2020, 17:15:25 PM »
Ha ha @Iminei  I think I've ended up with my binding join on a mitred corner at least twice and I haven't made many quilts.  It just makes the corner a bit thicker but in the greater scheme of things it doesn't notice - it's still annoying though.
@Flobear I don't think you could stretch or squidge a quilt side sufficiently for it to end up out of shape.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2020, 17:34:48 PM »
Yup, one continuous strip for me too
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Flobear

« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2020, 17:59:19 PM »
Thank you for the responses, ladies  :thumbsup:

I intended to make one long strip and have planned it so the joins don't end up in the same place or on corners. Do I take it by 'continuous' that I need to join it in a complete circle before starting to attach it?

fajita

« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2020, 18:21:21 PM »
I have mine in a single file strip, and only join the two ends as the last task, once the majority of it is attached.

I believe some people construct it completely before attaching, but for me I prefer the freedom to err.

@Flobear

Acorn

« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2020, 18:28:49 PM »
Am I the only person who cuts a strip for each side and then mitres (usually, sometimes not) them at the corners?   :scream:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.