The Sewing Place

Novembers BOM - Final Assembly and Big Reveal

Lowena

Re: Novembers BOM
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2020, 18:36:13 PM »
Looks like it @Acorn  :D although I have done so on occasion.
I never join it into a loop @Flobear I'd never be able to manipulate it  :| One long strip...
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2020, 19:04:40 PM »
Leave plenty of end when you start and then finish stitching a good 8" or more  from where you started ( I wish I listened to myself, I always seem to end up fiddling in a small gap).   You need space to open the 2 ends out flat to get the overlap right. I always find the joining bit tricky and frequently get my diagonal the wrong way.
I expect that's as clear as mud.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2020, 19:13:05 PM »
 sometimes get in a muddle too @Ploshkin  and end up with a straight join rather than diagonal. I haven't found that it matters

Deafoldbat

« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2020, 19:17:28 PM »
If you approach the corner and are going to have a join land just where the corner is, just stop sewing, and move the join. :rolleyes:

If you really want the quilt to be nice and square, you measure across the centre (NOT along the edge) horizontally and vertically subtracting ½ inch to get finished size. Then you cut strips, joining if needed, a little longer (at least as long each end as the width of the strip) than these measurements. Mark the centre of each strip, then measure from that point to the ends (finished size) and mark again ie if your strip has to be 60 ins long, measure 30 ins each side of the centre line. Pin the strip to the quilt, making sure the centre is properly aligned and the end markers are ¼ inch from the raw edges. Stitch the binding between the finished size marks. Repeat with the other sides. Then you can either butt the ends or mitre them, and fold over to the back to hand stitch.

If you use the continuous strip remember to cut enough extra to allow for adjustments as above, and to have enough tail at each end to make the last join easy. The weight of the quilt will drag against you and short tails will be very awkward. I have found it worth making that last join very slightly tight. When you sew the last bit down there often seems to be a tiny pucker that forms when you reach your starting point...

Flobear

« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2020, 19:33:16 PM »
I've bound quite a number of small pieces and, apart from the first one,  have always done as @Ploshkin described. Being small items, it has been a bit fiddly to manage the final join but I've always succeeded in the end. Making it slightly tight, as @Deafoldbat said, became obvious after my first couple of bindings.
The first one I did, before I knew about the mitr(e)ing trick, was the method I think @Acorn is using.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Kenora

« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2020, 14:33:09 PM »
Well I've finally taken photos but they're not particularly good (taken on my phone - hope they're small enough - can't get them any smaller!).

Finished quilt laid out on the bed (strange angle because my arms aren't long enough - tried standing on a chair but that looked worse).
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
I used a lovely plaid fabric for the back (which I think I bought from @Efemera ) but didn't have enough to match the stripes. Hey ho. I also put two extra BOM's on the back which didn't seem to belong on the front.
The label shows the name of the charity forum I belong to, although the quilt will go to Project Linus.
And finally, a close-up of the quilting which I did mostly on my embroidery machine. This is the first time I've done that so I'm still learning. It's not exactly as I would want it but hopefully next time will be better. The corner blocks I did freehand after tracing the centre of the embroidery design.

I've enjoyed making this quilt, so thanks to @Iminei for all your hard work during the year. <3
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Acorn

« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2020, 14:56:21 PM »
Lovely!   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2020, 15:31:52 PM »
That looks really great  :flower:

Ploshkin

« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2020, 15:33:35 PM »
That is really lovely @Kenora your border is unusual and very striking.
Life's too short for ironing.

Flobear

« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2020, 16:41:50 PM »
Wow! @Kenora
That's brilliant!!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Lilian

« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2020, 17:04:01 PM »
Another WOW! from me @Kenora that is stunning! Just love the colours, it's brilliant!  :loveit:
Willing but not always able :)

Sheilago

« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2020, 20:31:57 PM »
Oh,just beautiful @Kenora ! I love the colours and the pops of orange.  The quilting is stunning too.

I’ve done almost the same with 2 blocks on the back of mine, but I’m still at the quilting stage. Hope I get it finished in 2020.

Iminei

« Reply #102 on: November 27, 2020, 08:46:35 AM »
Glorious @Kenora  just glorious ... but then I expected little else!

Would you like the Enamel Prize Winners Badge or a Sew on Patch ??? I think I have you address still.

The TSP's 2020 BOM Quilts HOF fame is slowly filling up ...

Thats because you did all the hard work before November  !!! ;)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2020, 09:17:01 AM »
I'm not in there...  :'(
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2020, 09:20:44 AM »
Are you sure ???  :o   ;)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again