The Sewing Place

Novembers BOM - Final Assembly and Big Reveal

Iminei

Re: Novembers BOM
« Reply #150 on: December 11, 2020, 15:53:08 PM »
WOW!!! HOW long ago did I post that @supergran  ???
Looks in TSP's Big Red book .... 9th November  :faints:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Flobear

« Reply #151 on: December 11, 2020, 17:11:03 PM »
Looking good @Bjay  :thumbsup:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

supergran

« Reply #152 on: December 11, 2020, 17:23:36 PM »
I know,@Iminei, it's mad, isn't it? We haven't had any post, other than parcels for weeks and I was wondering if customs had nicked my badge because of the pointy bit. I think we all got post today as the British Embassy sent us all a letter telling us all what we needed to do, and even our post office thought they'd better deliver them!

Bjay

« Reply #153 on: December 19, 2020, 16:16:41 PM »
After a 'help' to Flo who pointed me in the right direction I have finally managed to construct 2 columns YAY
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Diane

« Reply #154 on: December 27, 2020, 20:27:09 PM »
I must say what beautiful quilt's you have all made :loveit: I really should participate if there's one for 2021 as it would help me take my mind off other things.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Iminei

« Reply #155 on: December 28, 2020, 08:32:19 AM »
Well @Diane  ... All the tuts are still there ... and with the beauty of hindsight, and others pics you can see how various colour combos would work out!

@Bjay  ... there are TWO tuts on QAYG in the Darkside Tutorial section .... and Novembers 2020 BOM has the assembly destructions within.

Bjay

« Reply #156 on: December 28, 2020, 10:59:24 AM »
@Iminei I now have 3 columns constructed but no sewing machine to finish them. I know what I am doing now  :S

My problem was I had the 16 blocks, then when i laid them out that courtroom steps just didn't look right. The chequerboard did but it was a smidgeon too small as I discovered when I sewed it together, So unpicking (i'm an expert  :laughing:)
I then sewed a narrow border around the block and it is now sewn in.  (scse the washing!)

My ancient machine won't sew sandwiches no matter what the flavour is! It will have to wait until machine is  fixed
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Pearl

« Reply #157 on: December 28, 2020, 11:50:25 AM »
That is going to be one beautiful quilt, @Bjay .

Iminei

« Reply #158 on: December 28, 2020, 12:27:06 PM »
That looks great @Bjay !!!!

WendyW

« Reply #159 on: December 31, 2020, 00:52:28 AM »
I know I'm cutting it close, but all I have left on mine is the binding, and I WILL finish it tonight! I ended up having to dig through my scrap bin to find enough pieces to bind it with, but I did find enough to piece together.

Iminei

« Reply #160 on: December 31, 2020, 08:33:01 AM »
Go @WendyW Go !!!!!!

And if you do ... Would you like an enamel pin (I think you call them over there) or A Sew on Patch ????

WendyW

« Reply #161 on: December 31, 2020, 08:37:32 AM »
I'm done! It's currently 2:00AM on the 31st, so I'm just barely squeaking by. I haven't kept up with photographing the process, and the whole thing got put on hold when other projects took priorty, but I have dedicated all my sewing time since Christmas to finish it off.  I'm not thrilled with the result, but I like it a lot better now than I did 3 days ago. My primary fabric selection was made by my then-3yo grandaughter, and of course was predominately pink. That purchase consisted of 1 set each of matching fat quarter bundle, jelly roll, and layer cake. I supplemented with the ONLY matching solids Walmart had available, hence the burgundy and lime green. Had other options existed, I would not have chosen those.

This whole thing was very unplanned in advance. So many decisions along the way were made just to solve a problem, not for an aesthetic choice. All the squares got borders after one came out too small, so the borders disguise that problem. I ran out of my solids, so some got scrappy backs. The arrangment was the only thing I could come up with that was reasonably balanced front and back. The sashings were left over jelly roll strips, and I had to dig through my scrap bucket to find enough pieces to make my border from. All I have left of fabric is a couple strips and a small pile of scraps that are under 3". It's a good thing I consider problem solving to be a fun puzzle!

I'm not a fan of QAYG overall, but decided that I could use the opportunity to play with my quilting rulers that I have had for 2 years and barely touched. I did have fun with them, but after putting so much effort into getting my piecing precise, I feel like I ruined my pretty piecing with ameteurish quilting. I definitely need more practice with that! Especially the planning of the quilting route. I think I did pretty well at making the quilting designs work with the block patterns, though.

Everyone else's quilts look lovely! I especially like the colors in @Sandra 's quilt.

Finished front by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

Finished back by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

Quilting close-up 1 by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

Quilting close-up 2 by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

WendyW

« Reply #162 on: December 31, 2020, 08:38:59 AM »
Go @WendyW Go !!!!!!

And if you do ... Would you like an enamel pin (I think you call them over there) or A Sew on Patch ????

I'll take the sew-on patch please!

Iminei

« Reply #163 on: December 31, 2020, 08:44:15 AM »
Aaaaaaaaannndd  .... Yatter, Yatter, Yatter .... Its FAB!!! 

I think you have made a remarkable job of it with those colours ...They WORK!
I really Love it ... Great use of the Backing fabrics Too!!

Bravo ... Get your address to me hon and I shall post out your patch Forthwith!

Iminei

« Reply #164 on: December 31, 2020, 08:48:34 AM »