The Sewing Place

Sewing Machine Mat

Gernella

Sewing Machine Mat
« on: June 22, 2021, 19:57:23 PM »
How hard is it to make one of these:

I bought this a couple of years ago and it is lovely, I recently bought another one  and although very nicely made, it is check and for some reason I don't like the blue check, although it looked okay on the picture and it has no padding in the middle only interfacing.  I am  relegating it to the machine behind me, the Mega Quilter.   

So I've found some fabric I like, 2nd choice, first one was Christmas foliage and out of stock (course it would be).  I've got some batting to put between it, I can use the first one as a template on size.  I can do a bit of simple quilting on it and I can put together a piece with the pockets on, although I don't really use them but they look good if I do. 

What could go wrong? I've also worked out I've got two weeks to make it before I start decorating in August, taking into account other projects to finish off and start.  I had better make a good job of it, it will be either in front of me or at the side of me, and I have no idea how big those birds are.  :laughing:

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

BrendaP

Re: Sewing Machine Mat
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 20:06:20 PM »
A single piece of fabric rather than a pieced top will be flatter and less likely to make the machine wobble.  Just make the usual top-wadding-backing sandwich and quilt as desired.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Gernella

Re: Sewing Machine Mat
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 11:20:42 AM »
Pieced top @BrendaP  :laughing: my idea of 'quilting' is a pad with either straight machining in squares or like something else I did using my new machines fancy stitches around and across.  That's my toe in the water to the darkside.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included