The Sewing Place

Babylock Evolve has died

Mamashep

Babylock Evolve has died
« on: May 21, 2017, 16:31:08 PM »
I was using my Evolve, it was all stitching fine, then I changed needle position from wide to narrow overlock.  The machine is not working now, there is light but no power when the pedal is pressed. Local(ish) dealer won't look at  it, as he doesn;t deal with Babylock.   It's not the foot pedal, as I have tried a replacement. Has anyone come across this and if so what was wrong? Is there a sensor somewhere that stops the machine if you do something wrong?

Efemera

Re: Babylock Evolve has died
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 18:31:55 PM »
I have a Bernette.. nearly 30 years old. I had the same problem, I thought it was the foot pedal but it was the front flap that opens... it wasn't making the connection with the machine when I closed it.. I just push it in a bit and it's OK

Mamashep

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 18:44:42 PM »
Thank you for replying. I checked, and that is ok, I wonder if it is perhaps the switch that cuts off the machine when the front cover is opened.

Elnnina

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 21:03:29 PM »
Two suggestions that might help (I do not have a Babylock).  There is a lady called Janet Spink who lives in Norfolk, and at one time she was the demonstrator for Babylock.  I know she is still in Norfolk and has a website as Roger a TSP member I believe went to see her for some tuition on something or other.  Janet also produced many books about the Babylock machines, so she may well have come across what has happened to you and can tell you how to sort it or who to send it to for repairs.  A long time ago Janet used to be a Brother Rep both on sewing machines and knitting machines – that is how I knew about her.  I used to be in touch with a lady in Glasgow who had just acquired a Babylock and she got in touch with Janet and bought several of her books/workbooks on Babylock in order to help her understand her new machine (she had had a couple of disasters with other brands of overlockers).

The second suggestion is David Drummond – don’t know anything about his place in Edinburgh, but I have heard that he collects and returns machines all over the UK.  Now does he have anything to do with Babylock machines.

Lastly  I have a Bernina overlocker and again this is very sensitive with regards to the opening and closing of the front flap/door, and the side part that opens out to the left of the machine, there is something to do with the electrics that runs along the side part inside that has to marry up with a chrome probe that is on the door, if they do not lock in together the machine will not work.  It is also important when cleaning the machines to keep this end of the electric tubing and the probe on the door debris free.

I do hope that this might help you – hope you can get this sorted soon as I know how annoying it is when a machine goes haywire, and it sounds as though your sewing mojo has returned.

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 21:55:43 PM »
As the light is still working it really does sound like it's the safety cut-out. My Bernina coverstitch & Juki overlocker do this if the doors aren't firmly shut or if the presser foot isn't down. I know it sounds obvious, but have you checked the foot? Not sure where the sensor is in your machine but it might well be something that's interfering with that.

If you get no joy from the places Elnnina's suggested, you could try one of the Babylock groups. Odds are it's happened to someone else too.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Sewingsue

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 23:02:06 PM »
Two suggestions that might help (I do not have a Babylock).
The second suggestion is David Drummond – don’t know anything about his place in Edinburgh, but I have heard that he collects and returns machines all over the UK.  Now does he have anything to do with Babylock machines.
Just checked, David Drummond does do Babylock machines and they are very helpful on the phone.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 19:19:31 PM »
My Pfaff combi 'died' yesterday too.  I pulled the furniture out to get to the plug, changed the fuse, no joy.  Then I noticed that the front flap was down. Flipped it up, and a miracle happened,  it worked!  :)

I did a happy dance among the debris and carried on sewing.    :)

Try the flap, if not, it's time to fix it.

Good luck,

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Mamashep

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 23:55:37 PM »
I have manage to fix it myself, the side cover was slightly slack, and not connecting with the microswitch properly. I'm really pleased that I saved myself £129.

Elnnina

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 12:14:58 PM »
HI Mamashep,  so glad that you have managed to fix the problem.

I mentioned that I had a few problems with one of my Bernina overlockers, and I happened to go on an overlocking course just after I had purchased this, and it was playing up intermittently, so once the course itself had finished the engineer was called into the sewing room and he prodded and poked around and adjusted something and it has been perfect ever since.  The probe on the door just has to fit into the other part on the other part of the machine otherwise it will not work – I think this is part of the safety mechanism.   Just think how many times the doors are opened for threading up and for cleaning, and whilst they shut they still  have to be properly aligned.

These machines work at such a speed and when they work they do a fabulous job, however when something goes wrong – which can happen occasionally, then they do cause us all sorts of anguish – we have just got so used to using them, and are lost without them. 

So glad that you have saved yourself a lot of money.