The Sewing Place

My First Quilt

Butterfly

My First Quilt
« on: November 04, 2020, 22:23:58 PM »
Well I did it. I made my first quilt  :faints: It's supposed to be a lap quilt but is large enough to cover a single bed lol, it's a gift for my daughter and she loves it. I have to say I learned a lot along the way.
1. I should have started off with something small for my first attempt!
2. For my next quilt I will make a plan first, even though it's not really in my nature, I realise it's something I will have to get to grips with.
3. Sewing can be back breaking, and I need to learn to pace myself and not be in such a rush to finish the project.
4. Learning how to bind the quilt, and breaking into a huge smile when the ends joined successfully.  0_0
5. I didn't have a large enough hard surface to fasten the backing fabric to when making the quilt sandwich.
6. Sewing a straight line needs a lot of concentration lol.
7. Making something to give to someone you love is very satisfying.

I'm sure there are lots of things I've omitted, but nevertheless I thoroughly enjoyed the process and it's a journey I will be going on again soon.... but maybe with a smaller project  :thumbsup:
Creativity is contagious, pass it on

SingingSinger

Re: My First Quilt
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 22:57:59 PM »
Well done @Butterfly  :D I made my first small quilt over the summer and am now thinking of making one for my son. I'm glad your daughter loves hers. Any pictures?
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 07:27:33 AM »
  I'm sure there are lots of things I've omitted,
Pictures?  :)
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 08:11:33 AM »
We Want Pics ... We Want Pics ...  We Want Pics

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 09:29:45 AM »
Backing Imi, in her campaign for photos

Butterfly

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 11:21:14 AM »
I will post a picture as soon as I get my subscription sorted  0_0 0_0

William

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 15:44:21 PM »
Hello-

Well done, a wonderfull accomplishment. 0_0

Many more! :sew:

Oh, and please, pics...
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

Butterfly

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 18:20:02 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  Well here it is .... a small thing (well bigger than I intended lol), but all my own work  :)

I hope you dont mind, I cropped your image so we see more quilt and less background... BTW its beautiful! Imi xxx
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 11:05:51 AM by Iminei »

Butterfly

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 18:27:45 PM »
I'm sorry if it's too big but I haven't worked out how to reduce it in size yet  :headbang:

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 18:58:39 PM »
Well done.  How did you do the writing?

mudcat

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 19:24:20 PM »
I like it.  It's much like my very first quilt 40 some years ago except I made it from mixed materials (all of my leftovers from garment sewing). Random squares.  It ended up being a mega King size.  The idea of quilting was daunting so instead I tied it with yarn.

It's nice and fluffy like a comforter and seems like it will be nice and toasty this winter.

Sara-S

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 19:59:06 PM »
I love it.  It’s a simple design and the colors (though numerous) do not clash.  It is a lot for a first project so I’m impressed at your perseverance.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2020, 22:08:59 PM »
Wot they said ^ ... and also, beautifully matched corners.   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Butterfly

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2020, 22:35:14 PM »
Well done.  How did you do the writing?

I used a template to trace letters on to a piece of white paper, then used a light box to trace on to material with a fabric marker pen.

The quilt is a bit hap hazard with regard to colours and writing, but in my defence I mostly used fabric that I already had and my enthusiasm to get it finished got in the way. The next quilt I make will be properly planned and I will take my time with it.

Thank you all for your comments.

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2020, 07:17:35 AM »
  The quilt is a bit hap hazard with regard to colours and writing, but in my defence I mostly used fabric that I already had and my enthusiasm to get it finished got in the way.
I find random colours  really hard to do , your enthusiasm must be the key to getting it right  :)