The Sewing Place

Is it OK to use generic sewing machine feet?

Kayfersmum

Is it OK to use generic sewing machine feet?
« on: November 05, 2020, 09:42:44 AM »
I've got a Janome 5270QDC and have been looking at this Bias Foot https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adjustable-Binding-Babylock-Euro-Pro-Simplicity/dp/B07FLVJ175/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=janome+bias+foot&qid=1604569233&sr=8-7

This adjustable generic one looks like something I'd use more than the Janome metal one, but don't want to ruin my new shiny machine if it's not recommended  -<
“I always wanted to be happy, so I decided to be.“

BrendaP

Re: Is it OK to use generic sewing machine feet?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 10:31:55 AM »
If it fits onto your machine it should be OK.  It's a standard snap-on bar so providing it snaps on properly there's nothing to damage your machine.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

KayK

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 11:35:37 AM »
Some of the generic sewing feet are made in China and are of pretty poor quality.  I feel foul of this and had a foot snap on me!  I'd rather pay for the proper job and be pretty sure it will work as it should.  I have also had generic bobbins which were found to have little tiny bits of sharp plastic not removed during manufacture, and they kept shredding the thread as it was being wound.
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 12:41:10 PM »
I wouldn’t use generic feet.  They don’t really fit properly.  You will get much better results from using the proper feet designed for your machine.  Sometimes it looks like they fit but they don’t always line up with the feed dogs properly.   Your machine is a fairly expensive piece of kit.  Don’t wreck it by using cheap feet, bobbins or thread.  Only bobbins designed for your machine should be used.  Generic ones can damage the machine.  Again they may look the same but less than a millimetre out and it won’t sew!   Cheap thread is also a no no.  It often leaves a lot of lint in the machine which gets into the works and causes problems. 

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 12:49:22 PM »
I never use generic feet
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 12:54:09 PM »
But what do you do if you can't get what you want made by the manufacturer? I was looking for a binding foot for my Emerald 118. Husqvarna do binding feet, but "not for Emerald 116 or 118".

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 13:16:12 PM »
@Greybird your Emerald is category number 5
If you look at the catalogue both the adjustable bias binder and the 1/4” bias binder are made for your machine.  Page 30
http://www.e-magin.se/latestpaper/03g36b4g/paper#/paper/3jb91pns/30

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 13:31:59 PM »
Oooh! Thank you @Ohsewsimple ! I have never seen that catalogue before - I had searched online and only come up with a lemon. I have downloaded it. Now, question is do I wait for someone to ask what I want for my birthday, or do I plunge in and get it now?!

Kayfersmum

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 14:48:18 PM »
But what do you do if you can't get what you want made by the manufacturer? I was looking for a binding foot for my Emerald 118. Husqvarna do binding feet, but "not for Emerald 116 or 118".

So that was going to be my next question!  The Janome Binder Foot available for my Category B machine (part number 200313005) isn’t really what I’m after as the size of binding I can use with it is limited to 10-14mm and I’ve just ordered some 25mm  :rolleyes: 

I’ve not used binding before so maybe I’m missing something....

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2020, 14:51:40 PM »
You’re welcome @Greybird:)  I spent a lot of time at work ploughing through this catalogue for customers.  Sometimes they say a foot is for category 5 or whatever and then has a note on the bottom of the description saying not for Emerald 118 or whatever.  But this doesn’t so hopefully should be fine. 
Personally I wouldn’t wait.  If this awful year has taught me anything it’s to go for what you want.  Life is too short.  If you can afford it, go for it.   Can’t remember how much they are and I’m sure they've gone up.  But I expect about £20. 

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2020, 15:03:55 PM »
Unfortunately @Kayfersmum they don’t make all feet for all machines.  Often it’s because the machine itself isn’t capable of carrying out a specific task due to the limited width of the zigzag, or swing of the needle.  Not necessarily the case here. 

Kayfersmum

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2020, 15:11:59 PM »

Thank you @Ohsewsimple, that makes sense.

When I receive the binding I’ve ordered it all may make a little more sense to me  :)

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2020, 15:45:05 PM »
I fell for the marketing on that particular foot and I have a Janome.  I can't get it to sew neatly, but in all fairness I can't get my other binding foot to sew neatly either.

I've always done binding by eye.  I'd be interested in seeing how you get on with it if you buy it.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2020, 16:55:31 PM »
I usually sew binding by machine onto one side then turn and hand stitch.  So much neater and a softer finish.   

Kayfersmum

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2020, 17:21:17 PM »

Unfortunately I’m unable to do hand stitching as I struggle to do anything physically that’s repetitive