The Sewing Place

Is it OK to use generic sewing machine feet?

Mr Twingo

Re: Is it OK to use generic sewing machine feet?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2020, 18:38:43 PM »
I wouldn't dismiss all generic feet, but a lot of them are poor quality (I've had several fall apart in my fingers), or have dimensions that are slightly out, so I have to reposition the needle just a tiny bit to avoid metal hitting metal.

The generic walking feet I have work well on all the machines I've tried them on, although they are not as well built as my genuine Janome one.

It's worth paying the extra for a genuine product, I think, especially if you are going to be using a particular foot a lot.

I believe the Emerald 116 is made by Janome for SVP, and is mechanically identical to the Sewist 525. The Emerald 118 I think is also a rebranded Janome machine, but I've no idea what model.

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2020, 18:54:11 PM »
I usually sew binding by machine onto one side then turn and hand stitch.  So much neater and a softer finish.

Yes, that's what I do in instances where I care - otherwise I press the binding in half longwise and machine sew through the binding and fabric all in one go - and hope for the best.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Kayfersmum

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2020, 19:36:27 PM »

@Goth Gardiner I've ordered the generic foot as I don't believe the official Janome will work for my project, but will only give it a go if it sits correctly on the plate.  I'll let you know how I get on.   

I can see my first experience of working with binding could be fun, so I'll definitely be adopting your hope for the best technique, although I think I may have also mastered that already  ;)
“I always wanted to be happy, so I decided to be.“

Kayfersmum

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2020, 11:24:08 AM »

The generic binding foot arrived and it fitted and worked OK.  It isn’t very robust and I think I needed to be a little more careful than I was, but I can see how it may work if I do more binding in the future.  Think I’m going to add the Janome specific one to my Christmas list as I perhaps maybe misunderstood how the measurements of bias binding work

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2020, 12:27:02 PM »
If you’re using the generic one @Kayfersmum just check that it covers the feed dogs properly.  That’s often a problem and why they don’t work so well.

Kayfersmum

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2020, 15:37:50 PM »

Will do @Ohsewsimple

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2020, 16:24:07 PM »
And now I'm going to have to google what a binding foot does and decide if I want need one  :P