The Sewing Place

Bernina dilemma

annieeg

Bernina dilemma
« on: November 05, 2020, 15:14:18 PM »
For those bernina lovers, I need advice please.
I have a bernina 1015 with several feet which was recently serviced by Alex Askaroff who confirmed it was a nice machine and in good working order.
I also have a bernina minimatic 807 with full service history (one owner prior to me) and all original accessories and case. 
One of these has to be sold to help with the purchase of a new laptop as our old one has died catastrophically. 
Which one should I sell?   
Any comment/input gratefully received. 

Elnnina

Re: Bernina dilemma
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 15:38:57 PM »
Oh Annieg what a dilemma, I do not know either of these machines, but I am presuming that the 1015 is a much newer machine than the minimatic - can you find out when these machines were made - that might help with the decision.  I suppose as with all things there is a time limit on Bernina actually still stocking spare parts for the older machines, and once that line has dried up then there is not a lot you can do about this.  Also I believe that the 1015 is a full sized machine whereas the minimatic is probably smaller - it all depends on your usage, if your need is more for a full sized machine then there is your answer.

Now only recently I had notification from Bernina that they  have recently announced that they have some newer feet for the older machines, and then they listed the feet and the models that they would fit - why not go on Bernina's website and see if you can find this, as that may help.  The article was sent this last Monday and called  'New Presser Feet for Old Sewing Machines', they then listed a few, and then specifically mentioned the vintage machines of the fifties, sixties and seventies and in particular  the 730 and 830 Record, and these feet are height adjustable.

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 16:02:12 PM »
Sell the old lady, 1015 is a keeper.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

jintie

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 16:50:23 PM »
I bought my Bernina 1050 Sport new in 1995. It is a workhorse, with perfect stitching. You might find that your feet for it fetch more than the other machine is worth. I only use the zigzag, the blind stitch (hemming) and very occasionally the zipper foot, and the buttonhole foot.
Adding later - It has never needed new parts, despite a lot of use.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 16:52:38 PM by jintie »
Rottweiler with scissors