The Sewing Place

Faux leather

sewmuchmore

Faux leather
« on: October 15, 2020, 18:21:37 PM »
Given up on the faux sheepskin, now looking for a realistic, not plasticky, faux leather. Can anyone recommend anywhere?
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Mr Twingo

Re: Faux leather
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 09:33:41 AM »
It's not faux leather, but take a look at Metropolitan Leather's leather splits. These are the discarded undersides of hides, treated to look like the upper sides.

Various colours and £15 +postage + VAT for a sizeable piece.

https://www.metropolitanleather.com/Buy-Leather/Buy-Vegetable-Tanned-Leather/vegetable-tanned-leather-clearance-sale/Vegetable-tanned-split

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 09:54:37 AM »
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

sewmuchmore

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 18:26:28 PM »
Thank you. @Gernella  nice but they only do black and white. Should have said i was looking for either red or conker brown.
@Mr Twingo wow, good price i will have to see if i can get my pattern onto the size they state.
I may venture to Fabworks tomorrow to see what they have. My first "big trip out" since you know what hit us.

Janet

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 22:29:33 PM »

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 13:02:50 PM »
Driessenstoffen (you know, the ones with the winkelwagen) have nice faux leather with a slightly crinkle effect at a good price. The reverse is like suede and the fsbric has a bit of stretch. It is fairly lightweight and supple - floppy not at all stiff. Very nice fabric though. How do I know these details? Well the winkelwagen was calling me like the Lorelei of the internet....

The Textile Centre has a heavier weight faux suede again at a good price. This is a much more substantial fabric (but still supple) than the Driessenstoffen leather. They have 20% off at the mo. I'm planning to have a crack at that new Vogue moto jacket pattern. Get thee behind me, winkelwagen.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 13:07:33 PM »
I did see that @Tamnymore but thought it might be too soft for what was needed.  Not that I know what @sewmuchmore wants it for -<

I got a couple of pieces of jersey from them last week.  It is slightly odd stuff I have to say and not terribly stretchy but can’t grumble for the price. 

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 13:53:32 PM »
Yes the Driessenstoffen leather is quite soft though I'm going to see how it works in a jacket. Everything I've had from them has been fab so far - almost worth learning Dutch!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Lollipop

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 16:59:23 PM »
@sewmuchmore,  I bought some gold coloured, soft, stretch faux leather last year but sadly can't remember where from! It is lovely and I made little skirts for my granddaughters. Textile Express have some nice colours if its for fashion. I'm not sure what the purpose is, but if it's for clothing they might be worth a punt!
Was Sewnanny

sewmuchmore

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2020, 18:39:17 PM »
this is what i am making. Thanks everyone for the links. @Ohsewsimple  I have had fabric from a rainbow of stitches and quite like the copper nappa so will probably buy that, although @Tamnymore i have had the suede bookmarked at the textile centre for while so may go with that as well

Janet