The Sewing Place

Any way to cancel automatic locking stitch?

Vezelay

Any way to cancel automatic locking stitch?
« on: November 05, 2020, 16:55:00 PM »
Does anyone know if there's a way to stop my Janome (DXL603) automatically doing a lock stitch at the beginning of a zigzag or decorative stitch? I'm not a fan of this - there are various reasons why I often don't want a lock stitch - and there's a button to press if I do want it. I just don't see why it's compulsory.

Googling hasn't found anything relevant so asking here since between you you know everything!

Ohsewsimple

Re: Any way to cancel automatic locking stitch?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 17:03:10 PM »
Can’t remember but I think you have to put it on, so if you don’t press it it won’t be activated.

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 17:07:55 PM »
Unfortunately mine seems to be on by default - I press nothing. I tried pressing the lock button in case that cancelled it but that just sews twice the amount of lock stitches  :S.

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 18:05:57 PM »
Is there an option hidden deep in a menu somewhere?
Life's too short for ironing.

Sara-S

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 18:15:49 PM »
Have you contacted the company to ask?
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Vezelay

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 18:46:12 PM »
Is there an option hidden deep in a menu somewhere?

If there is it's so deeply hidden as to be unfindable :).

Vezelay

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 18:51:29 PM »
Have you contacted the company to ask?

No, but I might. I've had the machine about 5 years and just assumed I was stuck with that feature. Been meaning to get it serviced for months but the shop's locked down (as am I) - when we re-emerge John the owner might know.

Helen M

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 20:24:09 PM »
@Vezelay not sure if this could help you but I had an email from SA sewing machines in Rochdale to say they were remaining open for repairs etc. They are Janome stockists and I bought my computerised machine, that I don't get on with, from them. That was my fault not theirs. The email is sasewmac@icloud.com  and there is this one as well info@sasewingmachines.co.uk.  You can also phone them.

Your machine was the other one I was considering, I should have probably gone with it rather than the one I chose.

Maybe worth a try!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Vezelay

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 21:15:09 PM »
Useful to have that contact info, thanks @Helen M.

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2020, 11:20:03 AM »
You can contact Eileen at Janome HQ, shes always been incredibly helpful when Ive rung her ... Even talked me through fixing my walking foot ... Result!

When I use decorative stitches, particularly when machine stitching the binding on my quilts with the blanket stitch, I always do a test run first on a scrap to check I have the correct S. length and Width ...

When Im happy I then stop sewing just after the needle has swung back from the binding lift the presser foot, pull the threads, cut them and restart on the actual item!

That way I have thread tails to bury at the start of the stitching and the locking stitch stays on the practice piece.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Vezelay

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2020, 14:54:20 PM »
Thanks @Iminei, I've just sent Janome an email. (Being "abroad" I'll only ring if I have to.) Your method has occurred to me but it's probably too much hassle for a simple zigzag stitch which I use a lot and when I already know what look the settings will give me.

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2020, 16:37:07 PM »
Ok, so just start the zigzag on a separate piece and the carry on the proper item ?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Kayfersmum

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2020, 08:26:25 AM »

@Vezelay I have been scouring my Instruction manual for my Janome (5270QDC) this week as I noticed that mine is annoyingly doing the same on zigzag stitch. If you get a response from Janome please let us know!  I’m in the U.K. so if I am able I will call them and let you know if I get any closer to a solution x
“I always wanted to be happy, so I decided to be.“

Vezelay

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2020, 09:39:49 AM »
No reply yet @Kayfersmum. I might try again next week. But a call could be good.

Helen M

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2020, 10:50:35 AM »
@Vezelay and @Kayfersmum, I've called Janome for things in the past (I'm only 10 miles from them) and to be honest they haven't been that brilliant.

I would call SA Sewing machines Rochdale +44 (0)1706 355529, or perhaps SMD who sell a lot of Janome. SA do repairs so know machines in and out and I've spoken to SMD (they are in Wrexham) about a machine gift for a friend and he (sorry forget his name) was knowledgeable and helpful too.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 22:54:49 PM by Helen M »
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72