The Sewing Place

Singer Touch and Sew720

KayK

Singer Touch and Sew720
« on: November 06, 2020, 14:03:43 PM »
OOO I've gone and done it again!  Saw a locally advertised Singer Touch and Sew for sale for £60, and it appeared to be pristine - well, I took a punt on it and it is like brand new (its 51).  I bought it from a lady whose elderly mother had 'given up' sewing, but from the look of it, she had never started!  Some of the accessories were unopened in their original packing, and everything works a treat.  I am more than impressed with the chainstitch option, makes a lovely attractive stitch on the underside.   The feet and accessories are beautifully made and heavy.  It was one of the last Singer models to be made in West Germany.  It does have a few 'nylon' cogs in it , but these have hardly been touched!

Lots of playing and one happy customer - however I will say I had one years ago and it was a right mare!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

So Chic

Re: Singer Touch and Sew720
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 15:30:04 PM »
@KayK
My MIL’s Touch & Sew is in the sewing machine hospital awaiting the verdict, either not worth bothering to revive or restoring to full health.  It hasn’t been used for probably about 10/15 years and I last used it over 40 years ago but I only want it as a back-up machine.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Elnnina

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 15:36:34 PM »
That will be nice to play with KayK during lockdown, it is good when we find a lovely old sewing machine in good condition.

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 15:43:39 PM »
That’s the first brand new sewing machine I bought myself... I loved it.

KayK

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 17:03:55 PM »
I also remember my aunt having a brand new one in the late 60's - she was the wardrobe mistress and dressmaker for the Chelmsford Ballet Company, and I thought it was amazing!  She was a lady who could make absolutely anything. This will be a back up machine, but the way my Bernina B475 was playing up this afternoon I might have to have a re-think!

Even the instruction book is pristine!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well