The Sewing Place

A plea from a Tech re these cheap machines.

Morgan

A plea from a Tech re these cheap machines.
« on: November 08, 2020, 17:12:15 PM »
This one is a Hobbycraft Midi and costs around £50.
https://fb.watch/1DTJUkoaZW/
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 17:26:51 PM by Morgan »

Mr Twingo

Re: A plea from a Tech re these cheap machines.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 20:33:38 PM »
Reminds me of the cheap Brother machine I bought on eBay before I knew better.
 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

datcat23

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 21:19:36 PM »
I managed to miss the "cheap plastic" era, when it comes to machines.  Way back when I was first married, my mother gave me an ancient old singer.  I made a few things on it, but in hindsight it needed a service, and was prone to jams and causing lots of frustration.  So for our first wedding anniversary, hubby bought me a Phaff workhorse ...... she got me through a massive amount of sewing, and never let me down.  I gave one of my spare machines to a friend, rather than watching her fight a cheap brother that was a piece of sh*&. 

I often wonder how many people start this hobby, and give up, because the machines are just rubbish. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 09:02:31 AM »
lots!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Nevis5

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 12:29:16 PM »
So true, @datcat23  ! I gave my DD one of my ancient Bernina machines as she expressed a wish to learn to sew (gave me so much joy to hear that!).  It works perfectly, I'd had it serviced and checked, and it sews the best straight stitch that any of my machines ever did.  It looks old-fashioned compared with today's fancy box shaped machines and so she gave it back to me, unused, because she'd bought a cheap second hand machine for about £30 from eBay (or similar). 

The new machine doesn't work properly (she brought it to me to try and sort it out), the bobbin jumps out of the casing every time you press the foot pedal and all the thread snarls up.  She's given up on sewing now  :headbang:

In the meantime, my little old Bernina, unwanted and unloved, chugs on.....

twopence

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 13:19:14 PM »
DD2 is happily using my old mechanical Bernina that is older than her.  She has strict instructions not to get rid of it but to refer to me if it goes wrong.

DD1 having had the mechanical one is now using my first electronic Bernina which must be about 20 years old.

William

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 19:06:11 PM »
Hello-

I cant think of the environmental problems created by dumping  a million of these in random places.

Not Biodegradeable!

Better to buy reliable used!

just my 2 cents...

William David
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

annieeg

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 13:40:38 PM »
When I went to Sewing World in Tunbridge Wells a few months ago, they had a whole upper display shelf full of machines which they described as "next year's Landfill". 
(Brother's were predominant as I remember...)

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 13:44:06 PM »
 :o  The Proprietors ??? or the staff described their stock as such ??????

Thats a Ratneresque  blast from the past don't you think ?!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2020, 13:49:32 PM »
Some of us rather like our Brother machines.  :P

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2020, 14:23:36 PM »
Higher spec Brothers are good, it's the cheapies which are on a par with cheapie (modern) Singers.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.