The Sewing Place

Fingerless mittens

Starryfish

Fingerless mittens
« on: November 08, 2020, 17:22:56 PM »
I needed some fingerless mittens as I get cold hands indoors in this weather.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I used some alpaca yarn from my stash, and learnt a new technique- ribbed sewn bind off. It gives a neat stretchy finish when you are knitting in the round.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Efemera

Re: Fingerless mittens
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 19:36:40 PM »
Nice ..love the pattern.

Ann

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 13:45:48 PM »
@Starryfish, lovely fingerless mittens. Your hands will be warm wearing them. Love the pattern and the neutral color is perfect to wear with lots of different coats this winter. Or, do you wear them in the house?
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Starryfish

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 17:38:38 PM »
Thank you, Ann. I wear them in the house, which is not that warm. I'm wearing them at the moment while watching Wales play Georgia
( Rugby).
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Stitchalot

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 21:53:11 PM »
These remind me of when my son was about 6 and I bought him some fingerless gloves at Christmas as a stocking filler.

When he returned to school he was asked to write a sentence about one present and why he liked it. His teacher called me in to read his work......
“ I like my gluvs  with no fingers becos  I can pik my nos  wivout taking them off.”

jintie

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 08:58:11 AM »
I make mine from upcycled cashmere. If the sweater cuff is still in good condition, I cut it off (using a wavy rotary cutter) to about six inches long (from my bottom middle finger joint to below my wrist joint). Then I zigzag the cut edge.

I did this last week with an old men's sweater that had holes in one elbow. Then I hemmed the shortened sleeves and put it in the charity bag. (I have already taken two garments out of it!).

Or I cut rectangles, sew one side together, and hem the other two (or treat as above). Old cashmere is usually slightly matted, so doesn't fray easily.
Rottweiler with scissors