The Sewing Place

Overlocker recommendations

Andreas

Overlocker recommendations
« on: November 08, 2020, 23:29:09 PM »
Hi,
I have been sewing for a few years and have been eyeing up overlockers for almost as long.
I now think I have done enough sewing on my regular machine to justify treating myself to an overlocker.
Having never used one, I find it quite daunting. Last time I considered getting one, I was looking at the Juki MO-114D, which now seems to have been replaced with the MO-214D. My second contender is the Brother  4234D.
The Juki is at the top end of my budget of around £600.

To start with I'll mainly be using it for stretch, knits and finishing but I hope this machine will be with me for many years as I learn more.
It's important to me that the machine is reliable and can last a long time. Being a complete overlocker newbie, I'd like it to be relatively easy to set up and maintain.
One thing I worry slightly about is speed control. My pace is fairly pedestrian and on my Janome sewing machine I love that I can reduce the max speed.  This kind of control doesn't seem to be on either machine. This is fine as long as it is easy to maintain slow speeds while I build confidence.

Ideally I'd like to have taken them for a test spin, but in these lockdown times that is not possible.

If anyone has had experience with either of these machines, I'd very much appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Andreas

BrendaP

Re: Overlocker recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 00:01:28 AM »
I've not used either of those machines, but personally I would go for Juki rather than Brother.  If my regular (non vintage) machine were to die I would be looking at Juki or Bernina.

When I bought my Bernina 1150 overlocker I expected to be coming out of the shop with a Brother but when I test drove the model they had it sounded and felt really rough so I went for the Bernina and have been delighted with it.  I wouldn't be without it now for sewing anything stretchy. The Bernina L450 is probably the current equivalent, and in the same sort of price range as the Juki MO-104D.

All overlockers have a bit of a learning curve, especially with the threading!  If it goes wrong just rethread in the exact order the manual tells you.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 09:55:31 AM »
I've had a Janome and a Bernina, nothing wrong with the Janome it did the job but the Bernina stitch (1150) is in a class of its own, and it has certainly been hammered..
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Morgan

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 10:00:55 AM »
First Juki, Juki, Juki for both  quality + value for money, then Bernina because they are great machines but  cost more than Juki and then Babylock which are silly, silly money in the UK.
In the economy and middle range models of Janome and Brother, I think Janome has the edge for performance, build and stitch.  The higher end models of Janome and Brother are much of a muchness.

The bottom line is that whichever machine you choose  it has to feel right under your fingers and suit your budget. 

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 10:09:53 AM »
I just had to go and look at what mine is - it's a Brother 3034D, so not what you're asking about!  But I'll just say that it has stitched all sorts of fabrics beautifully even though it sounds as rough as a badger's ar bottom.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 10:23:18 AM »

One thing I worry slightly about is speed control. My pace is fairly pedestrian and on my Janome sewing machine I love that I can reduce the max speed.  This kind of control doesn't seem to be on either machine. This is fine as long as it is easy to maintain slow speeds while I build confidence.

Reducing the maximum speed is usually a feature of electronic/computerised machines.  Overlockers are not computerised, the speed control is simply down to how hard you press on the foot pedal.  It might take a little practice at first but you can make them run really slowly.  If you want one stitch at a time in a tricky place there  is the option of turning the balance wheel by hand as with regular machines.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Helen M

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 10:34:51 AM »
Brother's are easier to thread, the one you mentioned is their top of the range.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 12:06:36 PM »
Just to muddy the waters, Pfaff have brought a new overlocker out, the Air 5000, which as it suggest no hassle threading, bit pricey though but not as much as the Babylock.

Oh to have lots of cash :(
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Elnnina

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 12:15:57 PM »
i actually have two Bernina overlockers and both are used.  Now when I bought the smaller of my two, I had the opportunity of going on an overlocker course, this course was an introduction to overlockers and limited to six people attending, there was a chance to go on part two of the overlocking course a few months later, but in order to do that you had to have completed part one.

Well there was a bit of a mixture of overlockers being used (we each had to take our own overlocker), and I can honestly say the noise of the non Bernina overlockers was very noticeable, very rough sounding, and from memory one was a Brother and the other a  Janome My Lock.  The Berninas and they were all different just purred away and yes I know they are more expensive than other overlockers.

Regarding your choice, it really all depends on your budget, which sounds quite a healthy one too, and your handling of such a machine.  If you can hang on until this current Lockdown is over, you should be able to get to a dealer and have a demonstration of various brands, and then be able to test them yourself - that is important.  Do you happen to have a dealer anywhere near where you live?  All overlockers should arrive already threaded, some are more generous with supplying thread than others, so first and foremost it is important to learn how to rethread your machine, and a normal rule of thumb is the upper looper first, the lower looper second and then the needles.  One way of effortlessly changing the threads (colours) is to cut the threads up near the top of the mast and tie on a new thread, and then gently pull the thread through, repeat until all new threads have been changed.  Another good way of understanding your machine is to buy four different colours of overlocking spools, and thread these up, then you can actually see what each thread is doing and this will help you understand your own machine much better.

Regardless of what machine you end up buying, there is a super overlocker workbook that you can download, although it is for the Bernina overlockers, a lot of the instructions apply to all brands, and then steadily work through attaching samples of your work to the different pages, and if you do this with the machine threaded up with different colours this will help you.  This workbook is found under My Bernina Overlocker basics Mastery Workbook  - go to www.bernina.com
It was Morgan who has already replied to this thread that originally found out about these wonderful Mastery Workbooks, and they are so well worth downloading and then following - so good luck.

So Chic

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 14:11:33 PM »
I think Bernina overlockers used to be made by Juki but I don't know who makes them now unless they are made in Bernina's own factory in Thailand. 

I've done several overlocker classes where we had to take our own machines and the majority seemed to have either Berninas or Janomes.   

I can also recommend the Mastery Workbooks mentioned by Morgan and Elnnina, and there are some excellent YouTube videos by Heritage Sewing.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

SkoutSews

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 14:28:11 PM »
A couple of years ago I upgraded to a Juki MO 654DE. It's been great and I'd certainly recommend that machine - if you can get hold of one at present.

Kitten

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 16:56:23 PM »
I have the Brother 4234D and have been very happy with it.
I've used it for stretch jersey, toweling, cotton and it's been fine.  The only issues I've had have been down to human interface error - my fault!  :facepalm:

I do still look at the Juki air threaded one though.  Maybe someday...

Lachica

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 20:29:56 PM »
I had the brother 1034, it sounded rough & bounced around but always stitched brilliantly. Last year I bought the brother 4234D. It has a needle threader, very handy with my old eyes. It runs a bit more smoothly than my old one, and has adjustable width. It stitches brilliantly. I'm sure the Bernina & babylock are quieter & smoother but I didn't want to pay that much.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Andreas

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 13:26:26 PM »
Reducing the maximum speed is usually a feature of electronic/computerised machines.  Overlockers are not computerised, the speed control is simply down to how hard you press on the foot pedal.  It might take a little practice at first but you can make them run really slowly.  If you want one stitch at a time in a tricky place there  is the option of turning the balance wheel by hand as with regular machines.

I didn't realise that, but it makes sense.
I think I will just have to get the pile of scrap fabric out to practice.

Andreas

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 13:30:30 PM »
Just to muddy the waters, Pfaff have brought a new overlocker out, the Air 5000, which as it suggest no hassle threading, bit pricey though but not as much as the Babylock.

Oh to have lots of cash :(

They do look fantastic, but far beyond my budget. But, we can always dream.