The Sewing Place

To cover or not to cover

Kayfersmum

To cover or not to cover
« on: November 09, 2020, 15:33:13 PM »

Do you cover your sewing machines every time you finish using them? 

As someone with ME every activity, no matter how small, has consequences on my health. So it’s easier for me to keep my machine uncovered so that when I’ve got a little energy I can do a little bit.  This maybe as little as 10 minutes here and there or longer on a better day.

If I want to cover ‘Jessie’ with the supplied plastic hard cover after each use I have to remove the extension table, the knee bar, unplug the power and foot pedal cables which is all energy I’d rather use sewing!

Is it ok to leave it set up so it’s always ready when I am?!

“I always wanted to be happy, so I decided to be.“

Greybird

Re: To cover or not to cover
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 15:36:15 PM »
I don't cover mine up if I am using it day to day. If you need to leave it long enough for dust to settle, could you not just cover it with a tea towel or something similar?

jintie

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 15:46:47 PM »
Dust settles into the lubricating oil,  and forms a sticky mass that eventually stops the machine working.
Just throw a cloth over whenever you stop - not anything that might shed fluff.
Rottweiler with scissors

Kayfersmum

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 15:49:20 PM »
That’s a great idea. In fact, my OH just said why don’t you make a cover to go over the whole thing and put the rigid cover away. He’s got a lot of confidence in me!  I think a tea towel is a great starting point
“I always wanted to be happy, so I decided to be.“

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 16:06:21 PM »
No....if it’s out is uncovered. If I’m not using for a few days is put in the cupboard.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 16:21:58 PM »
Mine has a hard cover with which it came.
I put it on even if I'm only going to be away from it for 10minutes
Triumph of hope over experience :D

sewingj

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 16:35:10 PM »
Just throw a cloth over it.  Far better to save your energy to do something that will give you pleasure

Puzzler

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 16:35:32 PM »
I too use a cloth.

Kitten

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 16:45:52 PM »
I also just put some fabric over it.  Mainly so the sun doesn't damage it.

Kenora

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 17:18:00 PM »
I always cover mine but there's no way I'd unplug it or take off the extension table. As other people have said, you could just throw a (nice) cloth over yours - best of both worlds that way. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

BriarRose

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 17:24:14 PM »
I keep mine covered because I live on a dirt road in a dry, dusty place. A few years ago, I rescued from a second hand store what looks to be crib quilt from the 1930s. I washed it and keep it handy to toss over my machine when I'm not using it. The rigid cover only comes out if I have to move the machine out of my studio.
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

BriarRose

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 17:27:42 PM »
 I also unplug it when its not in use to avoid frying the circuits during power surges and lightening strikes.

Sorry about the sequential posts. The system wouldn't let me edit the original post- said I failed to put in a subject line... ><
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

Mr Twingo

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 17:32:20 PM »
As others, I keep mine covered with a piece of cotton fabric. Although I do have a hard case, it's quicker just to drape fabric over the top.

Helen M

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2020, 17:38:33 PM »
I cover mine once I've finished with it for the day with the hard cover which means I need to unplug.

Why not make a nice cover for it. They are just enlarged toaster covers really!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 20:27:05 PM by Helen M »
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

So Chic

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2020, 17:57:46 PM »
I made a cloth cover for mine as it was too much faff to put it away in its case every time but I do always unplug it.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up