The Sewing Place

To cover or not to cover

Ohsewsimple

Re: To cover or not to cover
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2020, 19:01:16 PM »
I tend not to cover mine as it’s used almost daily. But I always pull the blind down at the end of the day. 

Gernella

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2020, 20:52:53 PM »
I always left mine uncovered until we got the new kitty.  Covering was a way of hiding things under it for safety, but you have to make sure nothing sneaks out, or then it will get some attention.  It's a good way to drape pattern pieces over before being machined and then put the lid over them.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2020, 09:39:03 AM »
Im very pleased That I buckled down, along with @Puzzler, and made Elvistoo a decent jumpsuit (instead of the woeful bodybag he came with) and The Splurgess came with a beautiful semi-hard case that is used when she sits idle (ie all of thetime at the mo!  :rolleyes:  :headbang:  )
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sara-S

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2020, 16:00:31 PM »
Though I use my machines frequently, I still cover them when not in use.  It’s a lot easier to clean a dusty cover than a dusty machine.  My Brother quilting machine came with a good quality cloth cover.  My embroidery machine came with a cheap plastic one, so I sewed something nicer for it.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

maliw

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2020, 17:31:18 PM »
The ones (coverstitch, overlocker and other sewing machine) not in use have cotton (homemade) covers, the one I'm using if daily just gets switched off and unplugged. It isn't in direct sunlight and is to one side of a window. Maybe I should cover it more, :[
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2020, 07:15:17 AM »
As someone with ME every activity, no matter how small, has consequences on my health. So it’s easier for me to keep my machine uncovered so that when I’ve got a little energy I can do a little bit.  This maybe as little as 10 minutes here and there or longer on a better day.

Is it ok to leave it set up so it’s always ready when I am?!

@Kayfersmum , first, my sympathies for the ME. :hug:  I may have experienced it, so hard to get diagnosed with some of these things. I do have something else autoimmune, with bouts of fibromyalgia, that are definitely diagnosed, over the past year. What ever, I'm also a Spoonie, so I appreciate the need to curtail unnecessary work.

Absolutely leave it set up but do cover it. A piece of smooth fabric will suffice, I use pillowcases as they are handy and easy to wash. It's just seconds to put it on or remove it. If it's dusty at home or you have fur children the cover keeps it out of the machine.

I don't really have a place to leave mine set up so it’s in its case. It'll be 3 years in February since I've had it out, in large part because it's too much effort setting up and putting away.

Good luck.

If unplugging is difficult buy a surge protector and plug the machine in to that. Problem solved.  ;)
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Kayfersmum

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2020, 07:16:39 AM »

@Renegade Sewist and fellow Spoonie  :hug:

We do have two fur babies
“I always wanted to be happy, so I decided to be.“