The Sewing Place

Embroidery help on this strange fabric please

Iminei

Embroidery help on this strange fabric please
« on: November 10, 2020, 16:48:44 PM »
My neighbour has given me a jacket he wants Elvistoo to embroider a Logo on and I need your help with identifying the fabric and any potential problems with embroidery.

Its a Regatta Jacket and has a label saying Soft Shell .. The label says 96% polyseter and 4% elastene

Now I know a good cotton and even a silk but Im lost with stretchy fabrics so Can anyone help me here ..

Ive seen something like this stuff before when I went to buy a pair of Jods in 2012 ... Instead of the Ribbed waffle stretchy stuff Im used to most of them were made from something very similar to this (I didnt buy them, I managed to find a pair in my original choice of fabric)

It already has an embroidered logo on, so it can be done (by the professionals) But can you help me with Identifying this  fabric and can you offer me any advice on how to embroider it ????

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Starryfish

Re: Embroidery help on this strange fabric please
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 17:05:24 PM »
It's probably this sort of thing.
https://www.empressmills.co.uk/soft-shell-fleece-fabric-unicorn-navy 

However, no idea how to embroider it, as I don't like motifs on my clothes.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 18:02:38 PM »
I think youre probably right @Starryfish , shall I go stand in the shower in it??? :)

So how to embroider on softshell Fleece ???/

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 18:10:27 PM »
It’s quite a stable fabric, will probably embroider quite well. The thing I wonder about is will the hoop leave an impression/ stretch the fabric.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 09:16:09 AM »
@Ohsewsimple  has advised floating it and securing with a basting stitch ... which I can do .

What would be the best stabiliser?????

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 12:38:59 PM »
It’s really difficult when you’re embroidering on a RTW garment as you don’t have a chance to test which I always like to do.  I’ve never worked with this fabric.  I think @Acorn has as I seem to remember her saying she’d made a coat from it. 
All I can say is that my colleague at the shop mostly used sticky on something she didn’t want to or couldn’t hoop.  Over the years she must have done thousands of garments this way.  Sticky will avoid added holes in the fabric.  I don’t know if this fabric would take kindly to that.  So maybe sticky is the best option.  My favourite sticky is the one from Lords sewing, https://www.lordsewing.co.uk/floriani-wet-n-stick-1615-p.asp.   It doesn’t gum up needles like some do.  But it’s not cheap.

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 16:55:20 PM »
@Celia  ... Do I have that stabiliser ????

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 17:21:46 PM »
I can't see any reason why there should be a problem if it's like my softshell (smooth on the outside, fleecy on the inside).  Instinctively I would say it needs a sharp needle, not a ball point one - mine doesn't really have any stretch, but then it doesn't contain elastane either - but I'm really not an expert.

Actually, I'm not convinced it's the same fabric, so it's probably better just to ignore me.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 11:55:45 AM »
Stitched Beautifully .. I used Cutaway underneath, hooped and basted it in the end.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Thanks for all your help :D x

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 12:04:44 PM »
Excellent!   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Celia

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 12:17:44 PM »
Well done, it looks really good