The Sewing Place

ISO a top down Poncho Pattern

b15erk

Re: ISO a top down Poncho Pattern
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2020, 12:28:02 PM »
It's done! 

I finished this last night, and it looked awful - every bit as bad as my first effort, and it came up just as short and lumpy.

This is a moment that I wish I had taken a 'before' picture - although my previous effort looks quite similar.  It looked very short - although pulled down long due to the large needles, and the top of the yoke stood up in great lumpy mounds.

I thought I may as well finish it, and crocheted round the hem and the neckline, but still no better.  Then I remembered that you could block you knitting to achieve a better shape.  Well, I've never done that, and doubt it would work with acrylic, so, thinking about it, I wondered if steam would help.

I've just taken it upstairs, and applied liberal doses of steam from my steam gen iron. 

What a revelation!  It looks really nice!  It hangs better, the 'bounce' has gone and it is laying nice and flat!  :dance:

I knitted this, to hang over my shoulders in the evening when I'm knitting, and it's just perfect for that.  With hindsight, I think the first version would have reacted in the same way and probably looked just as nice.  Still, that version is now a nearly finished pair of socks...

I used some very cheap acrylic yarn, bought years ago - 150g, taken from the stash, and it is a very quick knit, done in the round, on large needles!

Happy!  :dance:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2020, 13:19:24 PM »
I never blocked knitting until I started using a knitting machine.  I haven't machine knat for years now but still always block knitting.  It does make a big difference.
Life's too short for ironing.

Kenora

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2020, 14:01:29 PM »
@b15erk - your poncho is gorgeous. <3 I've always blocked acrylic knitteds and crochet items, but only ever with steam. As you say, it makes such a difference. You'll enjoy wearing your beautiful creation.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath