The Sewing Place

Brother 950i knitting machine

Bodgeitandscarper

Brother 950i knitting machine
« on: November 11, 2020, 09:43:24 AM »
I tried to post this yesterday but it just wouldn't do it - probably our internet connection.

I received my new to me knitting machine yesterday.  I had a couple of hours of mild panic though, the electronics bit wouldn't switch on.  After much plugging and unplugging and changing plug fuses, I eventually pushed it far enough in to the machine to make it work  :dance:

I knitted a, err, bit of knitting...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

BrendaP

Re: Brother 950i knitting machine
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 09:56:34 AM »
Those 'bits of knitting' swatches are very important for getting to know any new toy complicated machine.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 09:57:30 AM »
Looks good to me, nice and even.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Elnnina

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 10:29:46 AM »
Excellent Bodgeitandscarper, I had thought it might be one of those.  Now a while ago there was an American lady by the name of Mary Louise Norman and she produced some knitting books for this machine, aptly called 'Flying High with the 950i', so do go looking at second hand book sites, you may just be lucky.  The only book I have of hers is one of knitting Bargello as I do happen to love embroidered or canvas work  bargello.  I am sure you will have lots of fun with this machine there must be a lot out there on the second hand market, may be worth also keeping an eye open for another, same model, for spares.

Kenora

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 11:02:25 AM »
Have fun @Bodgeitandscarper - I used to have one of those and loved it. Used it a lot until my back "went", then I had to sell it. :S
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 11:43:11 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper  DH swears by contact cleaner for e!ectric bits that won't work especially on second hand stuff or things that have sat unused.  One little squirt usually does the trick.
Life's too short for ironing.

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 12:39:11 PM »
Look forward to seeing what you make...there’s a knitting machine lurking under the spare bed :ninja:

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 12:53:31 PM »
@Efemera - let it out! How long has it been imprisoned there? Knitting machines under the bed are never used.

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 12:58:36 PM »
@Efemera - let it out! How long has it been imprisoned there? Knitting machines under the bed are never used.
It belongs to DD she used it for her degree...11 years ago!
I sold my machine in the early 80s.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 13:12:14 PM »
Looks like it works well.  Love the colour of the yarn!   Is that a double knit it doing?

My mum had to get rid of her knitting machine a while ago.  Her shoulders and arms just are too painful now to use them.  I know she misses it.  She keeps asking me about the Bond machine I have lurking in a cupboard.  Yes I know I should use it.  :rolleyes:  Perhaps I’ll get it out sometime and have a play as we seem to be stuck in for some months ahead.  For some reason my mum thinks this will be easier  to manage!    :faints: God knows why.  Now she's looking at circular knitting machines.
Actually, does anyone have any experience of these?   She asks me and I haven’t got a scooby do. 

Ellabella

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 13:42:34 PM »
My machine is not under the bed but at the back of a very deep cupboard.

I really should have a go, I used to use it lots years and years ago and after last nights trawl through the wool stash I know I have more than enough yarn.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 21:12:34 PM by Ellabella »

Kenora

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 14:05:48 PM »
@Ohsewsimple - I don't have any experience of circular knitting machines but would think they'd be a lot easier for anyone with shoulder/neck problems to use because you wind a handle rather than push a carriage from side to side. (I've watched lots of YouTube videos. :) :rolleyes:)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2020, 15:52:16 PM »
Thanks @Kenora my mum's been watching loads of them too!   It’s not like she can’t afford one!   
But it’s almost like she needs permission to buy anything.  Probably because she would never buy anything without referring to my dad first.  But I won’t go into that!  Lovely though he was he was a bit CP.

annieeg

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2020, 16:38:41 PM »
Looks like it works well.  Love the colour of the yarn!   Is that a double knit it doing?

My mum had to get rid of her knitting machine a while ago.  Her shoulders and arms just are too painful now to use them.  I know she misses it.  She keeps asking me about the Bond machine I have lurking in a cupboard.  Yes I know I should use it.  :rolleyes:  Perhaps I’ll get it out sometime and have a play as we seem to be stuck in for some months ahead.  For some reason my mum thinks this will be easier  to manage!    :faints: God knows why.  Now she's looking at circular knitting machines.
Actually, does anyone have any experience of these?   She asks me and I haven’t got a scooby do.
Are you talking about hand knitting circular needles?  If so,  I only use circular needles if I can.  I like them because they are more portable than straight needles and its virtually impossible for the knitting to slide off by accident when being carried around. 
I have a load of bamboo circular needles which are unwanted and would sell very cheaply.  (At one point I thought I wanted to only knit with bamboo/wood circular needles but have switched back to metal circular needles as I find I prefer them.)

CraftyIrish

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2020, 17:18:45 PM »
I was thinking of getting one of them circular knitting machines. What can you make on it.
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web