The Sewing Place

Toaster Sweater / Simplicity 8529

Happymrsg

Toaster Sweater / Simplicity 8529
« on: November 12, 2020, 13:34:04 PM »
I have much more success with Indie patterns than Big4. I'm always disappointed with the fit of Big 4 patterns.
I recently bought the Simplicity 8529 that I thought was the same pattern as the Sew House Seven Toaster sweater. I bought the Simplicity because it was on sale.

I have made up the pattern, in a lovely jersey from Immanuals & its awful. Too big across the chest. I love oversized clothes & I did want that look but this is just dreadful. There is just too much fabric across my chest.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Do you think if I remake it going down a size it will look ok? Or should I just buy the Sew House Seven pattern. I wanted to make a few sweatshirts as those are the clothes I wear being recently retired & locked down.

Can anyone recommend their favourite sweatshirt pattern?

toileandtrouble

Re: Toaster Sweater / Simplicity 8529
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 13:55:33 PM »
Can you just tack in a fold the length of the shirt, both sides to see what a size smaller would look like?  That would tell you if you needed to take more off, or less. The neck and cuffs look good.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

StitchinTime

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 13:57:56 PM »
I think part of the problem is that the Simplicity pattern has a dropped shoulder which creates excess fabric at the sides and under the arms. The Toaster pattern has either raglan sleeves or a sleeve that is set in more on the shoulder.

Even if you were to go down a size, I think there would still be excess fabric across the chest.

Happymrsg

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 20:22:06 PM »
Thanks @StitchinTime I'll try that but I'll bear in mind what @toileandtrouble has said.
I'm wearing a drop shoulder M&S top today & I'll check it again the toaster later. I did compare measurements when I started but that was below the armholes not across the chest.

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 23:02:29 PM »
I've made the Toaster 1 three times - two of them in brushed sweatshirt fabric - and the Toaster 2 once. I must say they all fit well without any modifications and are pretty much my favourite winter sweaters. I'd guess your figure is not too dissimilar to mine. I've found that some patterns simply don't work for me and then happily I've discovered a similar one that does.

PS. The toaster 1 is one of the easiest quickest makes. I'm talking myself here into making another :).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 23:04:58 PM by Vezelay »

Happymrsg

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 23:34:07 PM »
@Vezelay did you use the Sew House Seven pattern or Simplicity?

Vezelay

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 08:06:39 AM »
It's the Sew House Seven @Happymrsg. Toaster 1 with its raglan sleeves and deep hem bands is my favourite (and, I see, one of the most popular patterns on Patternreview). Toaster 2 has a nice shape and I like the way they do the side slits but that neckline requires a drapy knit to work. You can buy them together or separately. Well worth it in my view.

Happymrsg

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 12:55:07 PM »
Update - I made another  this time in a size M & am very pleased with the outcome.
It's a wearable toile & I'm wearing it today to check that I do like it - I have 2 pieces of fabric to make more.