The Sewing Place

Sewing machine cover

BrendaP

Sewing machine cover
« on: May 21, 2017, 23:28:45 PM »
I've spent most of the day working on a cover for Caroline my  :vintage: 201  Just three pieces based on the awkward to use bentwood case she came with.

Yesterday I received the bits and bobs for the bag I plan to make for the Japanese Sewalong and this included Vilene Decovil and Vilene Style-Vil.

Decovil is a very stiff iron-on interfacing similar weight to pelmet buckram.
Style-Vil is a layer of foam rubber (about 1/4 inch thick) sandwiched between scrim, similar but thicker than the foam used for bra cups.

I used the cranes fabric I'd been pondering about over in the Japanese Sewalong thread.  Interfaced all three pieces with medium weight interfacing and then added the Decovil to the two end pieces.  Lovely and stiff.  That used up all the spare Decovil.  For the main piece there was just enough Style-Vil, only mms left over, but it's not iron on so a bit of quilting, a few straight lines  should do it....Oh no! :S

I tried several times with Caroline to run a straight line down the middle to start.  It was all basted very firmly and I reduced the foot pressure but no matter what, the bottom layer moved through much faster than the top layer.  So I tried with Vera  :sew: and the walking foot.  Exactly the same :angry:  I think it must be something to do with the squashiness of the foam.  :devil:  Note to self - don't use that stuff again for anything which is to be quilted.

Last resort - hand quilt it :thread:  It's only got the minimum amount of of big-stitch quilting to hold the layers together but it wasn't easy and I've got sore fingers :(

I've now got the three pieces joined together - WS to WS - so all that's left to do is cut some binding and stitch it over the seams and the bottom edge.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 23:32:14 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

Re: Sewing machine cover
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 09:13:34 AM »
That is a classy coat for Caroline!   :vintage:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Holly Berry

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 09:28:34 AM »
It looks great. I love the fabric and what a good idea to make it the shape of the hard cover. I made mine as a very boring rectangle!

A much cheaper option for for stiffener is headliner scrim which is used for lining the inside roof of cars.
Procrastination get behind me

Snowgoose

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 10:06:01 AM »
Caroline will be the best dressed machine on the forum  :D That looks so lovely, such gorgeous fabric - it suits a vintage machine perfectly - I would never have thought of shaping it like that!  I must try and make some covers for mine, mostly I make do with draping an old shirt over to keep the dust out... :| bad goose!!!