The Sewing Place

Ugly shift dress upcycle

datcat23

Ugly shift dress upcycle
« on: February 28, 2021, 06:41:27 AM »
I picked up one of these sleeveless shift dress, from the local charity store.  Its a very heavy woven fabric, sort of like a heavy linen, with some pretty embroidery on the bottom third.  Aside from the fact that it has zero shape to it at all, also as a result of me being so short, the dress reaches the floor when I put it on.  It only just fits around my belly, but was quite baggy around the bust, and certainly too big across the upper back.  I think a potato sack with a belt, would look more stylish.

Shift dress upcycle by Dani, on Flickr

The first thing I do is cut off across just under the bust.  Then from the top of what is now a skirt, cut off about 20cm. 

To add some shaping to the bodice, I put some little box pleats at the front, and some darts in the back. 

Shift dress upcycle by Dani, on Flickr    Shift dress upcycle by Dani, on Flickr

..... more to follow. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

datcat23

Re: Ugly shift dress upcycle
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 06:48:27 AM »
After trimming off the middle, I take up the extra width before attaching to the bodice. 

For the front, I put in two box pleats, located to line up with the bodice pleats.

On the back, I ran a simple gathering stitch, gathering only the section that would fall between the two darts.

Yes you can see the split, and yes it will be quite high.  But, since I am planning to only wear this tunic over pants, its not a bother.
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

datcat23

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 06:50:54 AM »
And the finished item ..... it still suffers a bit from sackish-ness .... but not so bad.

Back

I could probably have done with a little shorter for the bodice, but still, it will still be comfortable. 

toileandtrouble

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 09:38:26 AM »
I have a long silk dress that I am aiming to alter.  it will need an FBA as well as shortening.  I have planned out how to do it, but I am scared to cut into it.  Crazy, since I would be quite confident if I was doing this for someone else. Maybe this is the year I will do it?  Toile of the top  might give me the confidence to start.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 10:19:47 AM »
I love it how some people can look at something and see how to alter it .

My only thought would be to separate the pieces and see what I could cut from the fabric.

jen

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 13:02:51 PM »
A super save. It’s a lovely colour too.

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 15:22:48 PM »

My only thought would be to separate the pieces and see what I could cut from the fabric.

@Ellabella I think I'm the same.  :rolleyes:

@datcat23 I clearly lack your vision! Your tunic looks great.  :)

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 17:13:52 PM »
Great save Datcat.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 17:26:23 PM »
Very nice.  That is just the sort of dress I would rescue from a charity shop, knowing that it wasn't going to suit me!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.