The Sewing Place

ISO Men/Women outdoor aprons

b15erk

ISO Men/Women outdoor aprons
« on: November 17, 2020, 10:34:12 AM »
Just bought DD and SiL's Christmas present - a Pizza Oven of all things, (they spend a lot of time outdoors) and I would like to make them some aprons, cooking mitts and tea towels to go with it.

I have some heavy denim which I think will be good, and a lovely russian doll print which DD will really like.

I would really appreciate any suggestions, as I've only made children's aprons recently.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

StitchinTime

Re: ISO Men/Women outdoor aprons
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 10:44:51 AM »
I've found this pattern for an apron and oven mitt, but have not tried it. There is a PDF pattern to print that is sized for letter paper but I am sure that will pose no problems now.
https://sew4home.com/full-length-cooks-apron-matching-hot-mitt/

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 10:49:38 AM »
@StitchinTime  that was quick!  Thank you so much - it's perfect!  Oven Mitt too!

Wu Hooo!  I'm ready to go!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 12:11:28 PM »
Pizza oven sounds great to me!   Funnily enough I was looking at one the other day....not for me but because I didn’t know you could buy small ones. 

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 09:47:25 AM »
Made a practise oven mitt, and cut out and part sewed an apron yesterday.  It's very big, but easy to adjust.  I haven't lined it because I think it will be too warm, as the fabric I'm using for practise is upholstery fabric.

I've realised that this may be a really good way of using up fabric from the stash!  :thumbsup:

Jessie

Flobear

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 11:54:03 AM »
@StitchinTime , that looks a good site.

I make aprons once in a blue moon; I wear them quite often as I am a messy worker! Have recently done one in upholstery weight cotton to replace a very ancient one. I just drew round the one that OH has hanging up on the kitchen door. Never occurred to me to make an oven glove even though I have heat-resistant wadding since venturing into the Dark Side. If the fabric to finish my BOM quilt doesn't arrive today, I'll make an oven glove - or maybe two.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 10:00:50 AM »
I've finished my test apron, and it's perfect for what I want, I replaced the grommet with a D Ring, and had to improvise the pockets due to lack of fabric.

Very pleased though, I'll be cutting the denim out later.  :thumbsup:

Having looked on the website there are loads of aprons on there - great for Christmas Stashbusters.  :thumbsup:

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 13:49:56 PM »
Finished!  Two denim aprons with trim.

I used the Sew4Home pattern, but didn't line it as I used heavy denim as the main fabric.  The trim is shirt weight cotton and I used that for trims and long wrap around ties. 

I cut the ties on the straight grain, and loads of binding (on the bias), which I didn't use.

Off to cut two more out - child sized mini-me aprons!

Jessie

Elnnina

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 14:04:21 PM »
Jessie, those aprons are brilliant, and so well made.  I can just imagine the two little ones wearing matching aprons, now who will be in charge of the BBQ?  Have you got enough bits and pieces left over to make say a sort of Chef's hat for the little ones.

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 10:47:30 AM »
@Elnnina , thank you! 

I don't need chefs hats as the children already have them!  DD does a lot of cooking and baking with them, the last being the preparation of a delicious looking Ratatouille last weekend.  She has invested in good plastic knives to teach them to use knives responsibly.  Theo and Lilya were very proud of this dish - which did look wonderful - just a shame we couldn't share it!

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 10:18:17 AM »
I finished the MiniMe Aprons yesterday, and I'm very pleased with them.

Now, I just have to finish the Oven Mitts, and then I can move on to other things.

Jessie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 11:54:37 AM »
They look great Jessie.  Little bit different too. 

Elnnina

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 14:32:53 PM »
Jessie those little aprons are just so cute - I am sure the kids will enjoy using them.

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 12:28:38 PM »
Project now complete - thank goodness!  The Oven Mitts have driven me mad.  The first practice pair I did for me, and they went together no trouble at all, the second pair - to match the aprons - well, I seem to have lost my brains putting these together!

I don't think there is anything on either of these which hasn't been unpicked at least once.  I had to replace the binding on the top as it wasn't wide enough, and even now, the topstitching could be better...  Not unpicking it though, the project has stressed me out enough - I'm moving on...

So here, in all their (sub-standard glory), my Oven Mitts!

Jessie
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 16:36:37 PM by b15erk »

Catllar

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2020, 13:26:33 PM »
They look fine from here Jessie, the recipients will love them I'm sure!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !