The Sewing Place

Janome tension problems when quilting

Bjay

Janome tension problems when quilting
« on: November 17, 2020, 15:41:06 PM »
I am having problems getting the tension right for the quilting.
No matter what  number i move the wheel to it comes out loopy on the top and smooth on the bottom. I've also tried different stitch  length etc

I know it needs a service but quilt needs to be finished first. It is fine when  ot quilting

New needle, clean etc befoe I began

Any suggestions?
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Gernella

Re: Janome tension problems when quilting
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 16:27:36 PM »
Occasionally I forget to lift the foot up before I change things.  Maybe a good clear out or have you changed the thread, my Pfaff is not a fan of Coats thread (came with a job lot of Gutermann).
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 16:34:09 PM »
Have you rethreaded the machine?
My Brother machine doesn't like Guttermans thread
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 16:43:10 PM »
Have you put the foot down... the tension won’t engage with the foot up.

Bjay

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 17:25:59 PM »
Thankyou all
I followed advice from @Gernella and changed the thread in the  spool and it is now fine.
I would not had thought that a  change of thread would cause those problems!
 i have bog standard one in the spool now and it will have to do as  it is the only one remotely the  correct colour.

I was aiming to  have it packed and posted by the weekend but now with a day short I will aim for posting Next Tuesday

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 18:02:05 PM »
Maybe you had a spool that wasn't wound properly @Bjay
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Sara-S

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 14:20:22 PM »
Thankyou all
I followed advice from @Gernella and changed the thread in the  spool and it is now fine.
I would not had thought that a  change of thread would cause those problems!
 i have bog standard one in the spool now and it will have to do as  it is the only one remotely the  correct colour.

I was aiming to  have it packed and posted by the weekend but now with a day short I will aim for posting Next Tuesday

I’ve had that happen on occasion. One spool was a problem-child while another worked just fine.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Bjay

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 16:28:24 PM »

Unfortunately it only worked well for about 6 ins then back to loopy loopy again :headbang:

trying to find a repiarer who will turn up. The one yesterday didn't

AS I can do nothing till Monday I will have a  play tomorrow and see what happens

Kad

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 17:17:42 PM »
@Bjay
Might be a daft question, but have you cleaned between the tension discs? My Janome is really fussy in this respect, but as long as I keep this area clean it seems happy enough - I use a length of dental floss with little knots every inch-ish to remove any debris.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Bjay

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 18:38:52 PM »
@Kad thamks.  gave it a once over before i started quilting changed needle etc so will have another go tomorrow

Bjay

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 11:44:55 AM »
I have phoned a shop in Worcester - thanks @fajita

I have had a great deal of very useful advice over the phone.
He certainly seemed to know what he was talking about and although they are booked solid for service/repair till after Christmas he has made several suggestions for me to try which I will do today.
He suggested it may be   the walking foot which I was thinking it may be when I was fiddling yesterday. They have had problems with some of them

Fingers crossed everyone - oh and I have  filled in a booking form for  a service