The Sewing Place

Vogue V1501 Rachel Comey

b15erk

Vogue V1501 Rachel Comey
« on: May 22, 2017, 09:22:58 AM »
I made this over the weekend.  It was intended as my entry for the White SewAlong, but, I wasn't sure it would work in the white lace I'd picked out, so I toiled it in some ultra cheap (think £1 for about 4 metres), crepe de chine (I think that's what it is.

Trying to cut this fabric out was like knitting fog, almost impossible, which means that my cutting out was less than accurate.  It also comes out very big, so check across shoulders before cutting out, you can't really go on the bust size - which is huge!

However, I soon realised that it was also much too short.  So, I then had to utilise the borders which were on this panel print fabric.  The whole thing was made more difficult by the fact that the fabric was completely off-grain!  Well, what do you expect for a quid?  :) I added about 5", which was the depth of the border.

Next time as well,  I would not cut the back on the fold, because it makes the sleeves quite fiddly, and the top opening would look better.

Having said all that, I really love this pattern, and will definitely make it again.  I think though that it is meant to work as a suit, and I would wear something like this to a wedding (the only place I wear skirts).

Because I'm not wearing it as a suit, next time I would also do a better finish along the hem.  This doesn't look as nice on the hanger as it does on the body, mainly because it's starched to death to stop the slippage!

Jessie

eta Thanks to SewMuchMore for the pattern!

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:27:44 AM by b15erk »
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Acorn

Re: Vogue V1501 Rachel Comey
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 09:32:59 AM »
Please tell me, where do you get fabric like that at that sort of price?  I don't care about it being off-grain, I'm pretty off-grain myself.

I think the top is lovely - as well as the fabric!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

b15erk

Re: Vogue V1501 Rachel Comey
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 09:44:00 AM »
Thanks Acorn!  It was in the remnant bin at Bedford fabrics in St Helens.  I go there every week when I have to do the banking, and I'm quite early, so get first dibs quite often!  :)

I'm looking for some nice draping white now for the SewAlong, and time is running out!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.