The Sewing Place

Making a hat - made!

Vezelay

Making a hat - made!
« on: November 18, 2020, 22:14:02 PM »
I saw a fetching hat on a friend last winter and tracked down a similar pattern https://www.ginareneedesigns.com/product/hat-pattern/. Finally got round to attempting it using remnants from an ancient pair of tweedy Next trousers and some left over lining fabric from my faux leather jacket.

No idea if or when I'd ever wear this - I have a few beanies for walking and several me-made sun hats - but I just fancied a go at making something with a peaked brim using extra stiff interfacing. I also have this Vogue hat pattern, but some of Gina Renee's other hat patterns look quite appealing.

I used to love wearing hats when I was a young thing so maybe I'm regressing!  -<
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 21:37:12 PM by Vezelay »

Flobear

Re: Making a hat...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 09:17:23 AM »
I used to love wearing hats when I was a young thing so maybe I'm regressing!  -<

You and me both @Vezelay !  I had a hat collection when I was a student and have collected and made quite a few in recent years.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Nevis5

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 12:46:36 PM »
Ooh I love hats and nearly always wear one out.  I have quite a collection but haven't made any.  Strangely enough I was thinking only the other day that I could easily make some out of the vast number of scraps I have.  I have a couple of patterns but chucked a lot out years ago in a moment of madness.  I'll look forward to seeing yours, @Vezelay  - maybe it will re-inspire me.

Guess what DH is getting me for Christmas hahahah  :D  yes, yet another one...... :faints:

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 13:12:20 PM »
I also used to wear hats when I was in my twenties.  These days it is limited to woolly hats and wax hats for farming.
Life's too short for ironing.

Sara-S

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 13:26:05 PM »
That’s a cute hat and I imagine it would look great in tweed.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Vezelay

Re: Making a hat - made!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 21:46:05 PM »
And here it is. Great pattern and well illustrated so I might try another of hers soon. I wore this the minute it was made to collect a car from its service. That's about as exciting as my life gets these days  :).

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I must say those antique Next trousers have served me well for bags and pouches, and now this - only scraps left.

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 21:48:47 PM »
That’s one very stylish hat!

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 21:50:29 PM »
Very nice!   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 22:16:12 PM »
She did a series of free tutorials a while back.   I thought they were quite good and had some interesting info on them.

Puzzler

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2020, 08:42:44 AM »
Hat looks great on you.  :thumbsup:

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2020, 08:57:13 AM »
That looks good and it suits you.
Life's too short for ironing.

Flobear

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2020, 09:03:59 AM »
Wow! Lovely job and it does suit you.

@Ploshkin and I had hats not too dissimilar that we used to wear on Sundays as teenagers - in the days when you had to wear a hat to church. They turned up when we were helping Mum clear out her loft. Naturally we had to try them on. Not sure if I can locate the photo, though  :ninja:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2020, 10:27:39 AM »
That's a nice style.

I can't wear hats, they look like they are perched on top of my head.  I think I have a very tall head  :[

SkoutSews

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2020, 11:29:47 AM »
Very nice! The style suits you and I like the fabric combination.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2020, 11:38:19 AM »
I don’t wear hats usually.  I have a small head and they fall over my face or are too loose and blow off.  I had to wear one in the Caribbean when we were out and about but had to put ties on it to keep it in place! 
But a me made one might be different.  I downloaded a sun hat pattern a while ago and made a toile.   So when we next get some sun and allowed out I may just try it out!