The Sewing Place

Juki box feed (EXCEED Range) machines

annieeg

Juki box feed (EXCEED Range) machines
« on: November 19, 2020, 13:00:25 PM »
Does anyone have any knowledge of this feature on the Juki machines.  I'm wondering if its anything like the  IDT feature on pfaffs?  (although it realise the box feed is an ongoing feature, rather than the optional feature of IDT).

Ohsewsimple

Re: Juki box feed (EXCEED Range) machines
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 14:01:39 PM »
Not really @annieeg.  The IDT system is a dual feed, so feeds from the top as well as the bottom. 
The box feed is the way the bottom feed dogs move.
https://www.juki.co.jp/household_en/hsm/hzlg120.html

KayK

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 19:29:07 PM »
I have previously posted on here about the worst machine I ever had, a Juki DX7 (with box feed). Just dont!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Mr Twingo

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 21:49:12 PM »
I think that 'box feed' refers to the way the feed dogs move.

Regular feed dogs in a gentle arc resulting in fabric moving unevenly at the start and end of each stitch. /--\_/--\_/… like a sine wave.

Box feed is different in that the feed dogs move straight up, forwards, straight down. |--|_|--|_|… more like a square wave. This is supposed to move the fabric with greater evenness.

Turquoise

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 11:33:30 AM »
I love my Juki Exceed and I have only used a walking foot very rarely with this machine as I haven’t needed it so perhaps the box feed does have a positive effect on the way the fabric feeds through. 

Clareew

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 20:56:06 PM »
Another Juki fan here.  I had an F600 for years and last year upgraded to a DX7 and love it.  I have a similarly priced Bernina (550) but there is not comparison for garment sewing. Go for the Juki with it's boxfeed.