The Sewing Place

Can anyone make me a miniature teddy bear?

Iminei

Re: Can anyone make me a miniature teddy bear?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2020, 10:53:51 AM »
@Celia  ...  I love your bears @Celia . I haven't made a furry toy for many years - I sort-of feel inclined to have another go.

I wouldnt mind a go either but I would have to be coaxed through it.

Would you be able to make a TUT for this ... doesnt have to be the weeny size, I imagine the principle is the same for any size ... just a lil more fiddly ?!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2020, 11:02:51 AM »
Yes @Celia I'd love to have a go
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2020, 12:01:11 PM »
  Ok give me time to think about it as far as tuition is concerned, I used to teach traditional bear making but not too sure how I would manage on the internet, I can do it in person but give me time.

One thing that might be a problem if you want to make a traditional bear is the materials you need, it is not so easy to find them, I used to make kits up for my students. My bears are all made with traditional glass eyes, cotter pin joints and usually mohair fabric although some of the mini bears are in different materials. Most of the bears I make are my own patterns but there are quite a few available to buy.

@Sewot I will look at my supplies and get back to you,  if you want one like the girl with the rose, she is fully jointed and in the sparse mohair fur but I think she may be a little too tall am I right. Is she about the build you want I assume you don’t want a fat bear.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2020, 12:14:15 PM »
Oh they’re lovely @Celia

Sewot

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2020, 23:44:30 PM »
@Celia .
Thank you for your kind consideration re making me a bear like " Rosie" ?
My choice would be to have one exactly as in your picture.
She will be in the sitting down position on the boat and circa 4" tall bottom to top of head.
The left arm need not be jointed, heres why...
Rosie ( and why not have a girl bear skipper wearing a bikini) that would be a scream for the lads. Yellow poker dot of course!
The left arm needs to be lightly stuffed so that it can move.
It will be attached to the helm wheel which steers the boat.
The helm wheel itself will be radio controlled and insodoing move the bear's arm creating the illusion that the bear is steering the boat.
Two electronic servo motors will be surgically inplanted in the bear.
One to turn its head and the other to wave the right arm to interested onlookers.
If you can make it to that size it will be perfect...I will do the rest.
The older it looks the better.
Not too fat...I prefer thin scrawny bears.
I will also be interested in taking part in a bear tut should you decide you have the time and inclination to teach interested parties.

Celia

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2020, 10:20:15 AM »
Sorry I have not replied before but it has taken me time to look through all my stuff to see if I have any sparse Mohair and unfortunately I don’t. I have looked into the price for buying it and that along with the postage and charge for labour is I think going to make this a silly price for you. 

I do have 2 suggestions one is that you make it yourself with a bit of help from me and anyone else on here that can help, I can supply a link to a company that does kits in the correct sort of materials.

https://alicesbearshop.co.uk/collections/bear-making-kits-and-patterns/products/mohair-teddy-bear-making-kit-carly-19cm-when-made

The other is I might be prepared to sell Rosie to you, as she is already made built I think she is too tall.

Whatever you decide to do I will tell you that not having a joint in the arm is going to be a problem as that is how the arms are connected to the body, also operating on the head of a traditional mohair bear might not be as easy as it sounds due to the construction.

I hope some of this information is helpful

Sewot

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2020, 20:55:56 PM »

Hello @Celia  and thank you for your helpful reply.
In view of the difficulties you mention that are involved with turning heads and moving arms, I think it would be better for me to have a go at making my own bear and discovering the downfalls myself as I progress.
I would hate to ruin such a lovely bear as " Rosie".
That would be sacrilege.
I will keep my eyes peeled to see if and when you may decide to do a " bear tut".
Thanks for all the info so far.
It is much appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 06:47:21 AM by Iminei »