The Sewing Place

New to me Singer 348K

Manuela

New to me Singer 348K
« on: November 21, 2020, 04:11:30 AM »
Esmeralda the Pink (the cheapo John Lewis machine I bought 6 years ago) has been dying a slow dead over the last few months, mostly due to plastic fatigue. Spools pins broke off, cracks in the casing and what not.
So, I decided to get a new machine, an all metal vintage Singer with zig zag. My Singer 338K is in Thailand, so out of reach for nobody know how long. I wanted something similar, using the same accessories and parts.

I found a Singer 348K on Ebay and went for it. On arrival I had a nasty surprise... he seller put it in its case, and the whole thing in a box. The case was broken in several places, the thread tension unit was damaged and the lock mechanism for the stitch lever was missing.

Dealing with the seller got me nowhere, so Ebay stepped it. I got a refund of half the price for the machine and a full refund for the shipping charges.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I have since managed to repair the thread tension unit with spare parts I had here. She now sews beautifully, the fact that I can’t lock the stitch length is a bit annoying though. I searched and found the part I needed to fix the issue, and it arrived yesterday. The part number is #163952

This is where it needs to go - I actually only need bits of it, so I’ll see how much I need to do there.

So, the 348K and I will spend quality time together today (I actually made my latest project using her, despite the issue), and she might be named afterwards. For Anyone into this series of machines, AndyTube took a whole 337K (the cheaper sister of the 338K) apart and restored it - he filmed and explained every step in a series of Youtube videos: Step-by-Step restoration of a Singer 337K

More pictures after I accomplished the mission and she has been named.

Fun fact, instead of lowering the feed dogs (or cover them) to make buttonholes, etc. on these machines, you raise the throat plate using the part below... the part number is #161894

« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 04:32:08 AM by Manuela »

Manuela

Re: New to me Singer 348K
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 07:44:16 AM »
Just when I started working on the machine, part #161894, which raises the throat plate, arrived. Some pictures below for anyone interested how this weird shaped thingy works.

1. Open the bobbin cover plate and put the plate raiser in as shown

2 - 3 Gently slide the part underneath the throat plate

4. The throat plate has now risen over the feed dogs - excellent for making buttonholes/darning/embrodery/fmq (the bobbin cover plate can be closed, but not completely - the small gap is not bothersome at all

« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 08:54:47 AM by Manuela »

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 08:24:03 AM »
Don’t know about all the mechanical stuff but it’s a lovely colour! :laughing:

Manuela

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 08:51:52 AM »
All done now and no screw left over.... I love the attention to detail, and the fact that thread tension and light switch are colour matching. On my 338K the cables are colour matching too.

So, here she is in all her glory, well cleaned, oiled

and the offending part repaired

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 09:52:08 AM »
Well that is a lovely machine @Manuela  and by the sound of it I think you will make a brilliant sewing machine mechanic if ever the need arises. 

Fabulous <3
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

KayK

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 11:38:57 AM »
Looking fab - love the oldies, and especially how the attachments are made so beautifully!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 16:56:31 PM »
Very nice, love the colour. I sold an old Singer 447, I think it was.  I don't know if that needed the same throat plate lifter as I didn't make buttonholes on it.  Great work repairing it and it's good of Ebay to step in.  I find them very good when things go wrong.  Many happy days sewing with her  :vintage: :)
Willing but not always able :)

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 11:49:51 AM »
Oh that’s almost as beautiful as your pink Singer.   :loveit:

If you find a purple sewing machine, I shan’t talk to you ever again.  :D

Nevis5

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 15:54:07 PM »
Wow, @Manuela  is there anything you can't do?  :faints:  That's amazing.  And I too love the colour x

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 18:48:41 PM »
That looks really lovely.  I'm now trying to remember what machine I've come across that had a needle plate that was slightly "sprung" and would lift up a bit, which I'm guessing is how yours feels.

Roger

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 22:09:33 PM »
Manuela, that is a nice looking machine, I like the colour! looks very sturdy too!

Bodge - theres a few Singers that the Throatplate rises rather than dropping the dogs - but specifically 500a and 401 (I think its the same for 500 and before Slant-o-matics (but not the 300a)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Manuela

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 05:55:55 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper, definitely the following models: 337/338, 347/348 and 457 - they I know for sure have the raising plate system to 'cover' the feed dogs.
@Roger, the machine and I are best friends already, she sews a beautiful stitch.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 04:02:04 AM by Manuela »

Celia

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2020, 23:08:58 PM »
That is a fine looking machine, lovely and solid too, well done for finding and saving her or maybe him :loveit:

Sewot

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2020, 06:44:09 AM »
Beautiful machine and I also like the colour.
Surprisingly I believe they are also made from cast iron so very sturdy.
I would be very happy with a beauty like that.
Well done for fixing it.
It is heart breaking when machines arrive in kit form !!!
I have hit the roof a few times now.

Efemera

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2021, 13:00:24 PM »
Well I never... I’m busy looking for info on a part number for my Singer 348 and this thread pops up on Google... just the info I need!