The Sewing Place

Saturdays sews

sewmuchmore

Saturdays sews
« on: October 04, 2020, 18:47:49 PM »
Another pair of lounging trousers for He Who Must Be Disobeyed. He has been hinting about this fabric for weeks, every time Nina in Coronation Street appears in her pinny. They only take about an hour to make, i have made so many pairs i could do them in my sleep. The embroidery was white when i did it but when i rinsed the backing off it turned pinky! The top is new and jet black not grey as it looks in the photo.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

My second make is the Sew Different Arista dress I have yet to hem it, i haven't done it yet 'cos i am not sure about the fit.
The pattern for the sleeve is one of those weird one were you just get half a sleeve and cut it on the fold. This means that there is no shaping for the front/back and it feels as if they are pulling the dress back. I will probably take them out and recut some new ones with the correct shaping. Plus i had to recut the collar as  again the pattern piece was exactly the same for the front and back and didn't take into account that the back neck isn't as long. (if that make sense).
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

BrendaP

Re: Saturdays sews
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 23:45:45 PM »

The pattern for the sleeve is one of those weird one were you just get half a sleeve and cut it on the fold. This means that there is no shaping for the front/back and it feels as if they are pulling the dress back. I will probably take them out and recut some new ones with the correct shaping. Plus i had to recut the collar as  again the pattern piece was exactly the same for the front and back and didn't take into account that the back neck isn't as long.

Sounds like a very poorly drafted pattern,  :facepalm:
I'm not surprised that you are unsure about the fit.

The trousers and shirt look good.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

dolcevita

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 09:49:27 AM »
A productive weekend!

I don't make a lot of stuff for my OH; he tends to trash his clothes and I wouldn't want to raise his expectation levels!

William

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 12:59:43 PM »
Hello-

Well done!   :thumbsup: - I really like the collar on the dress...

I just finished a shirt (OK, not the collar yet...) with sleeves similar to what you have.

They turned out well without being 'wonky'.

Anyway, Well done!!

WD
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.