The Sewing Place

Pfaff Ambition 620 - any thoughts as a P&Q machine?

SingingSinger

Pfaff Ambition 620 - any thoughts as a P&Q machine?
« on: November 22, 2020, 09:22:55 AM »
A friend has a Pfaff Ambition 620 for sale and I'm tempted. I don't really "need" a new machine but having recently taken up patchwork and quilting I wonder whether I would find the Pfaff a step up from my Brother Innovis 350SE and what the benefits would be? My Brother has an extension table, quarter inch and free motion foot and walking foot so has the basic quilting accessories. Does anyone have experience of this machine for P&Q?
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Iminei

Re: Pfaff Ambition 620 - any thoughts as a P&Q machine?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 09:47:49 AM »
You need to ask @Sakar  about that ... But the main requirements for a Darkside machine is

A larger harp space
the ability to stop needle down
the ability to take the P&Q feet, walking foot, 1/4" foot, SID foot

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

annieeg

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 09:55:14 AM »
Pfaffs r wonderful with the IDT feature and if it's being offered at a good price, then I'd snap it up if I were you!

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 10:12:45 AM »
When my Pffaf Expression dies, I want the 610.  Being just a sewer the extra stitches and alpha were of no interest to me.

There is one review on Pattern Review (didn't look any further when came to this one).   Only a quick look but it had no pivot and she had to physically lift and lower the foot, which I found funny.

https://sewing.patternreview.com/review/machine/6754

I can understand people getting a feel for their machines and I have the same feeling with my Expression, it's like putting an old pair of shoes on when I sit down.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 10:18:25 AM »
Most of the Pfaffs have a bigger harp space than many other machines which is invaluable if you are trying to stuff a quilt through it.  The IDT also means that you dont need a big, clunky walking foot.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 10:23:07 AM »
Yes @Gernella  my Pfaff Passport 3.0 (Anyone want a beautiful lightweight machine for back up or classes???) needs you to raise and lower the presser foot which, now I'm used to The Splurgess, I find a pain.

The stitch quality however is second to none and it really is a beautiful stylish looking lil thing.

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 10:34:46 AM »
Yes @Gernella  my Pfaff Passport 3.0 (Anyone want a beautiful lightweight machine for back up or classes???) needs you to raise and lower the presser foot which, now I'm used to The Splurgess, I find a pain.

The stitch quality however is second to none and it really is a beautiful stylish looking lil thing.

I've never had a machine that does that @Iminei so not that fussed when you've never had it.  What does get me is that different machines are in slightly different places, the Pfaff Select is in an odd position to the Expression, which is why I think you get to really love your main machine your brain is in tune with it.

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

SingingSinger

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 11:01:39 AM »
Thanks all. I've looked at the reviews, and some YouTube videos and I've decided to go for it. We've agreed a price we are both happy with. She's only had the machine for a month or so it's as good as new. Whoop, I'm getting a new machine!  :sew:
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 13:39:53 PM »
Wonderful ... Well Done!

Sakar

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 10:59:25 AM »
Thanks all. I've looked at the reviews, and some YouTube videos and I've decided to go for it. We've agreed a price we are both happy with. She's only had the machine for a month or so it's as good as new. Whoop, I'm getting a new machine!  :sew:

0_0 Good decision!!  :thumbsup:

I have no experience with the Ambition 620, but I have the previous quilting model "Quilt expression 4.2" and I really LOVE this machine  :loveit: I have never worked longer with a brother, but I can and will recommend Pfaff at any time, because they are wonderful, reliable machines (with IDT and a lot of space and very quiet and a lot of included accessories ... and ... and ... ) ;)

Have a lot of fun!!  :flower:

SingingSinger

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 19:59:11 PM »
Thanks! I'm looking forward to picking it up post-lockdown. And hopefully meeting my friend for a coffee if we're allowed to!  :drink:
I like the idea of the IDT system as my Brother walking foot seems a bit hit and miss.  :D