The Sewing Place

Wrap over jersey dress

Silver Rose

Wrap over jersey dress
« on: November 23, 2020, 07:25:10 AM »
This lovely bright jersey is from CroftMill, I have only made one wrap dress before, it wasn't a success. There was a thread recently about the pro's and con's of wrap dresses. I am going to have another go when I am able and I've got my machine back.
The pattern was a freebie with a sewing magazine.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Still learning

UttaRetch

Re: Wrap over jersey dress
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 07:55:25 AM »
The problem with wrap tops for me is my 32F bust. However, I did bookmark a tute for adjusting the bodice.  Another problem is the volume of the skirt.  Not enough and it will fall open when you sit down.  Your pattern looks like a 'wardrobe malfunction' in the making.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 08:16:56 AM »
Every Wrapover jersey dress Ive ever tried on (Note...tried on, not made) has been too low/open at the front so Ive never got on with them.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 08:43:32 AM »
Good luck...I can’t get along with wrap stuff, don’t know if my bust is too big or too small. I never know where to wrap...under? Over? On top?
Look forward to seeing the finished dress.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 08:52:42 AM »
I like to lay the tissue for the front piece over my front and see where it hits.
I need to take a little tuck in the front neckline to make it lie neatly - like a dart in the tissue paper.
If I've forgotten to do that or it still gapes, then adding a front band brings the neckline up and I also cut the band shorter than the neckline so it takes up some of the fullness.

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 09:30:41 AM »
I made a jersey wrap dress 40 years ago when I didn't know that stretch fabrics needed any different handling from woven or that wrap styles could be problematical and, apart from shortening, always made up patterns straight from the packet.  It was a perfect fit and never had any issues with gaping bodice or insufficient skirt and I wore it to death.
I have never since found any wrap style that works for me and I haven't  changed much in size or shape.  Although I still have many of my old patterns I don't have that one though I don't make dresses these days anyway.
Life's too short for ironing.

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 09:48:29 AM »
I've got a three (well two, one ditched) made from an old Maggy London Butterick pattern, only they are faux wrap so you can adjust the fold over underneath piece to ensure nothing uncovered, only lost weight so now need a pin.

I've got another pattern not used because unsure of the tie factor on it. The old pattern was better, been in the charity bin once and got raked out again. It is very easy as well.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 11:51:02 AM by Gernella »
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Silver Rose

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 10:21:45 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts peeps, when I made the first dress I didn't have a problem with the bust part.  More research needed I think to see if I can get the skirt not to reveal all when it shouldn't. I've got a faux wrap dress pattern somewhere but it needs more fabric than I have got of the jersey.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 10:23:57 AM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 11:57:33 AM »
Have you got a coordinating coloured jersey for the faux underneath part ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

So Chic

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 12:04:22 PM »
I found the best wrapover dress pattern to be the one designed by Diana von Furstenberg which I first made in 1980.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Silver Rose

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 12:13:10 PM »
The bodice part is not a problem, @Iminei , it worked ok last time. The underneath wrap bit of the skirt needs some adjustment so I am covered up and decent. I could wear a slip I suppose :thinking: .
Still learning

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 12:36:21 PM »
The 'under wrap' needs to have decent coverage.  If you have wide hips or a big bum, that is where the problems happen.

So Chic

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 15:43:28 PM »
The DVF pattern has a very generous wrap both under and over.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Vezelay

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2020, 17:48:33 PM »
Have you read the reviews on Patternreview @Silver Rose? Two of the three say the skirt has  inadequate over/underlap. Kwik Sew 3489 which I made a couple of years ago (without the scalloped edge and with an added neck/front band) has a tie that secures the underlapped skirt part to the bodice waist. Apparently your pattern doesn't have that.

I love the idea of wrap dresses and would be happy to wear mine if I ever put a dress on. I wouldn't fancy one that was revealing either up or down though.

SkoutSews

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2020, 18:00:31 PM »
The DVF pattern has a very generous wrap both under and over.
I had that pattern too. It was good. I made a full length sleeveless version and a knee length short sleeved one for work. No problem with the wrap over or the neckline, but it was a loooong time ago, when patterns fitted me just as they were and there was less of me than there is now!

I like wrap dresses and hope yours turns out nicely, @Silver Rose