The Sewing Place

The Slither problem

b15erk

The Slither problem
« on: May 22, 2017, 13:14:05 PM »
I was making a toile yesterday, when I realised that I might actually like to wear the top/toile.  I believe it was a sort of poly crepe de chine, very cheap as it was also badly off grain. However, it was a huge challenge, as the fabric was just so slippery.

I just used lots of spray starch, which helped a bit, but makes the top look very distorted on the picture.

Any tips for managing fabric like this as I have a lot of slippy fabric, but it takes sooooo long to cut out? 

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

Re: The Slither problem
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 15:37:32 PM »
Have you tried spray starch?

I just bought some Dylon stuff. Haven't tried it yet.

If you want a can, let me know. I have 9 cans of the stuff because it was cheaper to buy 9 online than buy 1 in the shop, typical!

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 15:50:19 PM »
Manuela I tried the gelatine once, but I think I did something wrong as it was patchy, maybe I hadn't dossolved the gelatine enough.  Many thanks for the links, I'll have a look at them and try again....   ;)

Fran, I used nearly a full can of Dr Beckman spray starch, but it wears off as you handle it.  Hope your Dylon one works better....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

DementedFairy

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 19:03:26 PM »
Hairspray
LAy it out on a sheet/spare fabric
Leave the tissue pinned to it until ready to sew
Hand hem!
C'est moi!

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 21:05:25 PM »
I remember you said your gelatine bath was patchy - I wonder if you had dissolved it properly  first?? - Did you use sheet gelatine or powder - sheet gelatine is better. Good luck.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 14:02:37 PM »
I always use a layer of tissue paper.  Then I draw a large right angle in pencil.  After straightening the edge, usually by ripping, I pin fabric to tissue along the top edge and the selvedge.  It makes it so easy to cut.  As DF said, leave pieces on the fabric/ tissue backing until ready to use.  A few minutes of prep makes life soooooo much easier.  Cutting in a single layer rather than double makes it easier still.  Make sure you have full pattern pieces.  Before removing tissue, you can staystitching through fabric and tissue knowing it,s correct and not stretched.

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 14:10:03 PM »
Girls, thank you so much.  I do cut out on a fabric base, and had used a lot of spray starch, but as I was handling the fabric it was getting soft again.  I'm going to give the gelatine another go, following proper instructions this time!

The tissue paper with a right angle drawn on is also another excellent idea.

Let's see what the next one brings!

Jessie