The Sewing Place

Making Dog/pet collars advice.

Dermotoreally

Making Dog/pet collars advice.
« on: November 24, 2020, 12:46:06 PM »
Hello,
I'm new to this forum and was just after some advice from those of you who will undoubtedly have more knowledge than me.
Me and my partner have decide to start a very small side business making dog collars etc.
I knew I needed a better machine than the one we borrowed from my partners grandma so I bought a singer 5523.
It said heavy duty which is what I thought I needed. I bought some size 16/100 needles and away I go.
Or so I thought.

My issue is is that I've had to reduce the webbing  thickness down from 3mm as this would not fit comfortably under the presser foot. I'm going to try 2mm so hopefully that will be better. Its when I have to double over and stich on the hardware thats the problem. Which  rings me to my second issue.....
I'm really struggling to do a box x stitch for strength and getting it tight to the hardware.
Is there a different stitch I can do that will be just ass good as the box x or will I need to just make the box x stitch further away from the hardware?

Maybe I'm trying to compare mine to mass produced industrial machine made collars and get the same finish that is near on impossible?

Any advice would be great. Even if its advice to get a different machine. Haha

Many thanks in advanced

Dean

Greybird

Re: Making Dog/pet collars advice.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 12:56:21 PM »
My daughter makes dog collars, although from fabric not webbing. She was also having difficulty with the fabric fitting under the presser foot and she bought an Elna Experience (not sure which model no). The presser foot lifts up much higher and it copes well with several thicknesses of fabric.

Edit: Welcome!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 12:58:17 PM by Greybird »

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 13:38:52 PM »
If you are trying to stitch close to the hardware you probably need a zip foot where the needle comes down in a little recess at the side of the foot instead of a hole in the middle.  I would imagine there is one to fit your Singer.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 16:38:15 PM »
I dont know the Singer machines but if you start to pay a reasonable amount you often get a choice of presser foot heights ... We have a Machine review thread somewhere .. it might be worth you looking at that

Im thinking you could do worse than a secondhand industrial machine ... maybe not pretty to look at ... but ...
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Dermotoreally

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 18:25:59 PM »
Thank you for the reply everyone!

Greybird, thank you I will be sure to check that model out!  :)

Ploshkin  thats great i would not have thought of that another thing I will be looking at this evening.

Iminei, I have considered a second had industrial. Just working out where to put it at the moment! Again ill have a look on the machine review thread!

Thanks all!! Glad to be here!!

RJR_38

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 22:02:39 PM »
You may also want to look at reducing the pressure foot pressure if you are able. I often do that in bag making and deal with some very bulky layers that way.

Unless you get an industrial machine I would say, keep your speed very slow, increase your stitch length, reduce your pressure foot pressure and use a zipper foot to get close to the hardware

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 06:30:43 AM »
Hello @Dermotoreally , I can't offer any advice about making pet collars but I believe you are our third Suffolk member so a warm welcome to you and good luck with your enterprise.
Still learning

Dermotoreally

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 08:14:05 AM »
Thankyou Silver Rose!
I'm happy to be here and look forward to chatting to you all!!
Many thanks!

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 10:55:07 AM »
I've been sewing a lot of denim lately, and my Pfaff 1475, although a normally reliable machine, was struggling with the layers - 8 at some corner points.

So, I tried my Singer 611g, which I usually use for buttonholes.  It went through the layers like a knife through butter!  So I was able to finish off all my aprons with beautiful stitching.

I would also suggest a Singer 201k although it is only a straight stitch, it is a workhorse, and can usually be picked up quite cheaply.  Lots of the older Singers would be suitable.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

KayK

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 14:12:09 PM »
Welcome from another Suffolk-ated person!  I use to mend horse rugs, webbing straps etc on a Singer 201 - and it worked pretty well - but, and I say but, an older industrial would be so much better, and far less 'wreck-able' than a more modern machine.  To be honest, the old hand cranked Pfaff 30's are pretty good for dealing with hefty fabric, and you can go very slowly!

Good luck !
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Dermotoreally

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 17:03:18 PM »
Thank you both ill have a look at those too! I like the idea of being able to stitch slow for the box x stitch.
With my inexperience I seem to go a bit heavy on the pedal and then I stitch too far!