The Sewing Place

iTokri

Catllar

Re: iTokri
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2020, 17:36:01 PM »
Here they are:
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Catllar

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2020, 17:37:57 PM »
Missed off the rayon border print - oops no, wrong one, this is a lovely soft cotton woven piece. I've started making it up and it plays really nicely.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 17:42:02 PM by Catllar »

Catllar

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2020, 17:40:55 PM »
this is the rayon

Catllar

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2020, 17:59:07 PM »
So I've made up 2 of 3 bits of fabric and I have   a complaint  people - why did none of you stop me when I ordered rayon !!!!!???? Cutting it out is a total pig. I've done the cutting out on the flat, impossible to have the fabric folded and hope to get a straight line - I resorted to sellotaping the stuff down to my table to get at least one straight controlled edge. 

Once all three things are done I'll post pix.

mudcat

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2020, 18:48:32 PM »
@Catllar some rayons are such a pain. I cut nearly everything on the flat which I started doing when I sewed knits because no matter how careful I was I'd always end up with one perfect side and one slightly off grain side.  Now I'm always on grain.

I have one rayon in particular that is pretty bad. I made SA Ethel Designer pants from it and the leg hems are a bit wonky.  Unfortunately I still have some of that fabric and I decided to use some of it for a muslin of the SA Vicki Top but because of the points in the pattern pieces it was quite messed up and I ended up throwing it away.

I have had some rayons that behave quite well. many rayon fabrics that behave fine though and others that are terrible.  Same issue with some tencel fabrics where they seem almost bubbled.  I'm pretty sure rayon was responsible for me giving up zippers back in the early 2000s.

Some people recommend using starch but the one time I tried it I hated the mess it made.  Maybe I did it wrong.  :headbang:

I like the rayon ... are you doing something with the border?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 18:51:24 PM by mudcat »

Catllar

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2020, 18:52:33 PM »
Oh yes, starch - I'd forgotten about that ! i have had some success with it in the past but I was into this one a bit gungho, thinking all would be fine. I might end up with an interestingly skewiffed dress - design opportunity I think!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2020, 20:14:59 PM »
@Catllar any fabric like this I cut out on tissue paper.   Make sure fabric is straight on the tissue paper and then cut through both.  The tissue stabilises the fabric till you need to sew it. 

Catllar

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2020, 20:52:45 PM »
That's a good tip, but I'm afraid I don't have easy access to tissue paper - but next time I do I'll see if I can't get another roll.

Catllar

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2020, 21:00:46 PM »
@mudcat  I'm cutting the patterns out using the border as the skirt hem and the sleeve hem. I'm making Hot Patterns Deco Vibes Delicious dress, - work in progress - never made this one before.

Catllar

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2021, 14:07:07 PM »
I'm afraid I've been shopping again . This time just 2 lengths of fabric - some slate blue linen and a handwoven blue and blue stripe. I'll report back when they arrive. Cost me £39 for 6 yards of fabric shipped. I'll be pleased f they are as nice as the first lot and might be back for more linen - the colours are gorgeous.

Catllar

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2021, 18:49:08 PM »
Have just received my second order from these guys. It was shipped from India on 30th January and arrived today!  Gorgeousness in a box - I'll post a piccy once it's been washed. Love the handwritten note and the little gift that came in the parcel. I will have to pet it a bit before I decide what to do with it.

Iminei

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2021, 18:50:14 PM »
Me .. Me ... Are you sure it wasnt meant for me ??????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Catllar

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2021, 12:53:07 PM »
I'll just check @Iminei .   No definitely got my name on the label, yours won't be long I'm sure.