The Sewing Place

iTokri

Catllar

iTokri
« on: November 24, 2020, 13:22:30 PM »
Got to put a shout out for this Indian company  - thanks to whoever it was on here who first mentioned it- I am in love (my fiancé in the fabric shop in Figueres can beg and plead as much as he wants but my heart now belongs to another!)

www.itokri.com 

I ordered 2 x 3mtrs  of handwoven fabric and 1 x 3mtr of a printed fabric together with some handmade soap. They were dispatched on the 21st and arrived her today via DHL.  Beautiful fabric,  very light but not transparent at all. It is a narrowish fabric - about 110cms so that's why I got 3 mtrs for what I have in mind. 

I stepped into the rabbit hole on the site menu called "running fabrics" thought they meant stretch stuff for athletic gear but I  it refers to repeatable fabric lines.  I had to do the currency conversion a few times to ensure I wasn't dreaming - the prices are incredible.

Parcel arrived beautifully wrapped and included a hand written note and a little gift of a coaster.  Paid via Paypal. I'm looking lustfully at some beautiful indigo fabrics now.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Starryfish

Re: iTokri
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 13:40:15 PM »
Ooh lovely fabric. I will bookmark this site for next spring as I have winter things to sew now. Best of all there is no duty to pay in the UK for under £135, and I wouldn't order that much. I like the look of the silk cotton fabrics.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 13:43:32 PM »
It was me! My daughter had a couple of orders from them and the same experience each time - it isn't a fluke! She was able to track her order through every country it passed through so she could see when it was nearly here.

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 13:48:39 PM »
Looks lovely. Very tempting . Get thee behind me  :devil:
Does it say somewhere that they will pay the duty if it's up to £135k @Starryfish? Cos the normal threshold is £15  :S
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 18:06:02 PM »
I didn't have any duty charged.

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 19:14:50 PM »
It's duty payable in the UK for goods coming into the UK from outwith the EU (and goodness knows what will happen with EU goods into the UK after the end of the year  :S ). The limit is £15 before duty applies. In practice, a fair bit of stuff over this value gets through without attracting customs charges but you have to factor in the cost just in case.
Interestingly I've only ever had customs charges on patterns from the US sent via the regular post but I've had several meaty parcels from fabric.com which were well over the limit but where there were no charges (sent via UPS which had something to do with it).

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 19:41:15 PM »
I loved the hand written note with the order and they have some delicious earrings too - I'm  bit of an earring addict, might be rude not to buy a couple of pairs next timer round!

Starryfish

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 21:35:36 PM »
https://transferwise.com/gb/import-duty/from-india

There will be VAT though, it didn't say it was just for a business import but I might be misreading it.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 22:37:51 PM »
Yes there's a difference between bringing goods in yourself in your luggage and getting goods posted to you and for the latter the £15 threshold applies. It's VAT plus a Royal Mail handling fee of £8. Worth it if you have got a good bargain though!

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 11:31:29 AM »
All the fabrics look wonderful, but unfortunately, I have promised myself that I will use as much from the stash as possible, particularly during lockdown... :S

Doesn't stop we looking though does it?  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 12:03:35 PM »
Doesn't stop we looking though does it?  ;)

Jessie

Is that the royal 'we' Jessie?  :P
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Marniesews

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 19:48:35 PM »
Well, I found a way quite by accident to make the prices seem just a little less irresistible by converting the prices from Pakistani Rupees initially and then only finding out that the Indian Rupee is worth twice that. Still a great price but fortunately it took the edge off enough at least temporarily for me to regain my self-awareness...for now.  ;) Phew.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Morgan

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 23:53:36 PM »
I was intrigued - theyvshould get rid of the insistent pop up asking that you sign up for notifications.  Every time it was cancelled , it was back in less than 2 seconds.  It's annoying 

Manuela

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 02:46:04 AM »
Gorgeous fabrics, thank you for the link @Catllar. The fabrics there are less than half of what the Indian fabrics on Marcy Tilton’s site cost.

Catllar

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 07:07:19 AM »
I'm very pleased so far - they've washed beautifully, no shrinkage and no colour bleed ( and one piece is red and we all know how that bleeds usually!)