The Sewing Place

Fleece

Puzzler

Fleece
« on: November 25, 2020, 07:58:18 AM »
I have a couple of pairs of pj bottoms from Tesco made from fleece from years back. I’d like to make a few pairs but I am not sure about which fleece fabric to buy. The RTW ones are sewn from a smooth, flatter fleece rather than the higher loft, fluffy fleece (but that may be due to their age and umpteen washings).  I don’t actually wear them to sleep, just lounging around the house. Any pointers on suitable fabrics? This may seem obvious but when I search for fleece fabric, there seem to be different types, not to mention prices.

Vezelay

Re: Fleece
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 08:26:45 AM »
I looked into this a while ago as it's a confusing area. To keep it simple there are basically four kinds of 'fleece': polar, which is the fluffy both sides kind you find in warm outdoor jackets, sweatshirt fleece which is smooth on the outside and soft "brushed" inside and may be cotton or cotton/poly, and micro fleece which is thinner and soft and used for sport and leisure wear. There's also a plusher kind called cuddle fleece, mainly used for throws and blankets.

My guess is that your pjs could be micro fleece, particularly if the label says 100% polyester. Maybe have a look at some Google images of garments in these different fleeces to get a better idea.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 09:21:43 AM »
I was also going to suggest micro fleece, places like Pennine Outdoor have it.

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 19:58:35 PM »
Like so many things, the names aren't very consistent between suppliers. Croft Mill, for example, describe their Micro Fleece as jacketing weight but recommend their Alpen Fleece as suitable for all things loungewear. Got to go by their own descriptions really or send an enquiry if in doubt.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 22:18:15 PM »
This was on @Bodgeitandscarper's link -  Pennine Outdoor has a lot of experience with fleece fabrics, so if you need any help choosing the right fabric for your clothing project, then please get in touch on 015242 63377 on via our Contact Us page.. Could be useful?

Puzzler

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 22:19:43 PM »
The Alpen fleece has a sweatshirt type backing though. It does look quite thick too.

Might give Pennine a ring. I’ve looked at various sites and there’s looks most promising. Thanks @Vezelay.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 22:21:30 PM by Puzzler »

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 08:57:52 AM »
Awwww ... youre making PJ bottoms ???  :(
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 10:02:45 AM »
Come on @Iminei you can do it, if you can make these lovely quilts making pj bottoms are easy.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 10:02:55 AM »
I think @Puzzler needs to do a detailed pj making sewalong especially for @Iminei  :P

Celia

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 10:07:08 AM »
Maybe we need a pj making mini competition

Puzzler

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 10:53:58 AM »
Oh @Iminei. I told you I'd help you. We just need to find you some fabric that doesn't irritate your lil leggies.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 11:35:18 AM »
Oh @Iminei. I told you I'd help you. We just need to find you some fabric that doesn't irritate your lil leggies.

Maybe something cotton?   I can’t wear polyester on my legs.  It makes them burn.

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 12:21:59 PM »
Maybe brushed cotton.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 12:24:36 PM »
Yes thats what I wear ... brushed cotton but I wanted something fun instead of the usual tartans that are so readily available ... and, being a Darksider, am completely lost with any other fabrics apart from P&Q ... I know nothing!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 12:28:31 PM »
Try here or here.   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.