The Sewing Place

Has Moda Flipped?

Acorn

Has Moda Flipped?
« on: January 11, 2023, 10:39:00 AM »
There is a new rangel of patchwork fabric by Moda called 'Daffodils and Dragonflies'.  You can see it here.  It's very nice - very old-fashioned American, I think.

Within the range there are designs called Bluebell, Crocus, Dandelion, Poppy and Sunflower.

However, as far as I can see, not one of the named flowers, including the daffodil appears in any of the designs, although plenty of other flowers do.  None of the fabrics are the colours of those flowers.  Oh, and I haven't spotted a single dragonfly either.   :facepalm:

Why????? 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ouryve

Re: Has Moda Flipped?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 10:55:33 AM »
The crocus is especially baffling.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Sheilago

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 11:10:05 AM »
 :thinking: As you say @Acorn ,I can’t see any logic to the names that they’ve given these fabrics. Wonder if they’ve been mixed up with another set of designs.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 12:20:24 PM »
I've just spotted what could be a sunflower, but it's on one of the fabrics called Dandelion...

@Sheilago I think there must have been some sort of mix-up, but the range appears on lots of other sites with the same name, so Moda seem to have run with it - or at least released it widely without realising.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 13:11:14 PM »
Look a bit dreary   I can’t see why they’ve been called that. Weird.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 14:06:58 PM »
 :x. Ugh, very 1970s "Little House on The Prarie" vibe. Nice if you're into that.

Naming of product lines has frequently led to bafflement. The names often have no relevance because the person doing the naming has no clue about the subject matter. Floral design, I'll give it floral names. That seems to be the logic. With the current popularity of mushrooms in design I'm surprised this collection wasn't named  "Woodland Mushrooms".

Eons ago my friend got a job with a shoe company based in San Francisco. One of her principal jobs was naming the new shoes. The very next collection included all of our friends names. The Rene was a cute flat shoe as I liked to wear those. Her second collection was all of our middle names. Highly scientific and completely relevant to the product.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Sandra

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 14:48:14 PM »
One of their ranges I can't stand the name of is 'Biscuits and Gravy'  :x It makes me feel a bit queasy.

Sandra.
xxx

Deafoldbat

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 18:52:32 PM »
@Sandra American biscuits aren't cookies. Two nations divided by a common language...

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 20:50:37 PM »
One of their ranges I can't stand the name of is 'Biscuits and Gravy'  :x It makes me feel a bit queasy.

Sandra.
xxx

I rest my case on naming collections.  @Sandra and @Deafoldbat the name also makes me queasy.  :x Not a fan. The idea is this is an old fashioned down home fabric collection to be all cozy and have warm and fuzzy vibes. The food, biscuits and Gravy. Let's see, it started after the Revolutionary War, probably in the Appalachian mountains, as a cheap belly filler for breakfast. The gravy is typically a milk or cream gravy made with pan scrapping from cooking sausage or sometimes bacon. It's thickened with flour, often has an abundance of black pepper and nowadays a fair amount of breakfast sausage  crumbled into it. Our biscuits are often said to be similar to scones. I find it to be a very vague similarity. Round, 2½-3" diameter made with flour, a fat and baking powder to leaven them. Often made with milk or buttermilk which helps make them fluffy. They are lightly combined, rolled or patted out to about ½-¾" thickness then cut. Other types are dropped from a spoon. Here they are normally savory, simply meaning not at all sweet like many scones. I make a version that has some sugar added and more sprinkled on top before baking. These are used for strawberry shortcake. Highly recommend.

Sandra

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 22:05:45 PM »
 :) That's very interesting thank you @Renegade Sewist
It still sounds a bit  :x for a fabric range.

Sandra.
xxx

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2023, 22:47:24 PM »
I don't think I'd fancy a fabric range called 'Bangers & Mash'!!

datcat23

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2023, 03:00:19 AM »
Let's see, it started after the Revolutionary War, probably in the Appalachian mountains, as a cheap belly filler for breakfast. The gravy is typically a milk or cream gravy made with pan scrapping from cooking sausage or sometimes bacon. It's thickened with flour, often has an abundance of black pepper and nowadays a fair amount of breakfast sausage  crumbled into it. Our biscuits are often said to be similar to scones. I find it to be a very vague similarity. Round, 2½-3" diameter made with flour, a fat and baking powder to leaven them. Often made with milk or buttermilk which helps make them fluffy. They are lightly combined, rolled or patted out to about ½-¾" thickness then cut. Other types are dropped from a spoon. Here they are normally savory, simply meaning not at all sweet like many scones. I make a version that has some sugar added and more sprinkled on top before baking. These are used for strawberry shortcake. Highly recommend.

Your description of American biscuits, sounds very much like Australian Damper, although we don't put the mix into small circles.  Aussie damper is usually baked as a cob shaped loaf straight on the coals of a fire, or in a big cast iron pot put in the coals, with a cast iron lid, that you scoop hot coals onto.  Very scrumptious with an abundance of butter.  As children, we used to get treated to a variation called "Twisty Damper".  The dough is mixed, and then a piece is made into about 20cm sausage.  This is spiral wrapped around the end of a green eucalytpus stick, like a longish marshmallow.  As a kid, you got to sit and cook your own little damper sausage over the coals.  When it was done, you carefully slid it off the stick and filled the cavity with honey or golden syrup.  A wonderfully sticky memory of my childhood. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2023, 07:31:14 AM »
:x. Ugh, very 1970s "Little House on The Prarie" vibe. Nice if you're into that.

But THAT is the very essence of American quilting ... very mid19th and 20th Century Americana ... not something Im particularly into at all, as anyone whos seen most anything of mine can attest to, but I have a friend who is sooooo into the tans and beiges and teensy weensy patterns of it too ... Different strokes!

Naming is bizarre tho'
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2023, 12:23:33 PM »

But THAT is the very essence of American quilting ... very mid19th and 20th Century Americana ... not something Im particularly into at all, as anyone whos seen most anything of mine can attest to, but I have a friend who is sooooo into the tans and beiges and teensy weensy patterns of it too ... Different strokes!

Naming is bizarre tho'

@Iminei , that was the essence of American quilting in the 70's. It's now a tiny subset of the quilting world. You haven't been in an American quilt shop in the last 10-15 years. Modern quilting is much more prominent, grunge fabric and the marvelous cross shot weaves are in abundance. Those cute juvenile animals are very popular.

I know about 300 quilters. Maybe a third go for that but it's usually very specific, like Civil War reproduction fabric or a  more modern vibe with 1930s reproduction fabric. That subset of quilters also includes the group that looks down their nose at anything that might be classed as an art quilt, frequently even considering quilting pieced by machine as not "real quilting". The Quilt Police are in that crowd. Most of the younger, under 35 quilters are very much into the modern vibe.

It's probably different in other parts of the country but in the western states, naw. Not happening here.