The Sewing Place

Advent Advent-ure

Iminei

Re: Advent Advent-ure
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2020, 14:45:08 PM »
Block 24 ... and what a stinker!!!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

And Im very glad thats over and I can have a few days off to consider how Im going to put this together.

Zelda pattern calls for 2" (finished' sashing with stars at the cornerstones, a lil like Cheesecakes Liesl's quilt ... Fiddly

And then there's a pieced border too!!! Coming to a screen near you on Boxing day!!
All in all which will make this quilt too big for me to handle.

Thinking hats on over Chrimbo then ....  :thinking:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2020, 23:24:17 PM »
All these blocks are lovely, can’t wait to see the finished layout

Iminei

« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2020, 12:08:55 PM »
I have come to a dead stop .. My printer has died!!!  :'(

The borders are a 6 page long multiple block extravaganza that I really need a printed copy so I can add notes, calcs etc So until I can get this printed I'm fu I've been foundered !!

I know I said I would be going off piste from now on and thank goodness I have all the main blocks printed out and made but I thought I might add a lil something and maybe QAYG it ... But until the Printer Fairy arrives I'm stuck.

maliw

« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2020, 16:54:26 PM »
Nooooooooo.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Iminei

« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2020, 15:31:47 PM »
HWMNBN has come to my rescue ...Hes moved out of the house he was sharing in Blandford after a row with the girl he shared with (He couldnt stand her or her attitudes to life) and has installed his office printer in the understairs cupboard while he takes a look at mine ... Its very swish but the colour for pics is awful, its mainly a business printer

But I have now printed out ... theres an awful lot of fiddly bits and its going to be HUGE!!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   (this is 2/3rds of it)

So as I said I'm going off piste .... Z wants the sashing to be 2" finished, I've knocked 1/2" off that ... There are Stars as cornerstones which I think makes the whole thing very busy so Im thinking it needs a teensy SiS which ive been practicing

Both  ...  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

White ...  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Silver ...  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

So here's the Question Hive mind ...... White SiS or Silver Lame ?????
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 15:37:01 PM by Iminei »

Lowena

« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2020, 16:47:26 PM »
Silver, it doesn't look so stark
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Kenora

« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2020, 16:53:16 PM »
White.  :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Iminei

« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2021, 20:11:45 PM »
These are slippery lil suckers (A kit-kat to the first right answer of where that quote comes from .... and dont google it :devil: )

Once you have two pieces of cotton fabric there it gets better but the first stitch line is a challenge ... any tips?

In other news my iron finally made its Last Lemming Like Leap from the board...

I tried to coax it back into service but as I placed it down on the block the temperature adjuster thingmy popped up like a done bit of toast from a toaster .... :(

R.I.P IronHeart    :'(

Ploshkin

« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2021, 11:14:12 AM »
My iron does the lemming thing too.  I'm sure its to do with the cable coming out of the top.  I've never had a kamikaze iron previously when cables came out of the back.  The only damage there is on the 10 year old laminate floor is where the point of the iron hit it in a dive.
Life's too short for ironing.

Flobear

« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2021, 13:58:40 PM »
Oh nooooo! Poor old Iron heart. Mind you, I think you were the only person who fully understood its geriatric quirks @Iminei .

Love the Adventquilt  :loveit:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Iminei

« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2021, 15:49:09 PM »
Thank you @Flobear ... Should I bury it next to the Mei ??
Do you want to come and say a prayer ....  Nah! maybe not!

I already had Ironhearts replacement, bought just after Chrimbo, so there was no panic, I just wish it had lasted a lil longer ... Just getting used to the new one ... now what should I call it???

Been busy today making slippery lil suckers. Im rather good at them now, well I blooming well should be after 36 of them!!!

Theyre going to be cornerstones for my AA blocks ... The stars Zelda (whose designs are lovely but so so big) designed as cornerstones made the quilt, in my mind, too busy and cramped ... Pics in the album
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 16:05:19 PM by Iminei »

Bjay

« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2021, 16:07:32 PM »
Looking at it I think the smal stars ae unnecessary and detract from the main business'but I am just a novice

Sorry about your iron my last one turned kamkaze as well, new cheap one is fine! - well now a newish one (5years odl)

Love theboldness of the quilt and the style = wowser <3
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 16:11:12 PM by Bjay »
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

coffeeandcake

« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2021, 17:40:54 PM »
Try some tissue paper underneath (or greaseproof paper) to help get the stitching started - that's what I do for silk etc. You can try on the top of the fabric if that works better and it can be torn away. 
Pretty Woman for the movie, but no KitKat required, thank you :)

Iminei

« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2021, 10:26:09 AM »
Aaaaand we have a winner .. Bravo, Coffeeandcake!

And thank you for the tip. I managed in the end and have 36 of the slippery lil suckers now!!!

Iminei

« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2021, 15:53:26 PM »
Started assembly .... ALBUM

I think the Silver SiS cornerstones add space to it.