The Sewing Place

Creating for the Festive Season (Dec 1-31 2020)

RJR_38

Re: Creating for the Festive Season (Dec 1-31 2020)
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2020, 06:55:19 AM »
Username:
RJR_38
What is it and for whom
Notebook cover for my sister

Pattern/kit/instructions used
The pattern is based on one by Spencer Ogg - she gives you the instructions on how to make it and also the ‘maths’ to work out how big to cut the pieces for any notebook you want to cover. This is just a standard A5 notebook.

Materials and tools used
 I managed to find a remnant of this gorgeous Swan fabric in my local shop and knew it would have to be made into something for her. The spine of the book is some PU that is moulded to look as if it is quilted and has a little glitter.

A short description on how you made it, any problems overcome
To be honest if was a quick a fairly simple make. The Decovil light interfacing was a bit tricky to turn through and wanted to come away from the fabric but I managed to 'persuade' it.

Edit - sorry about the lines, it always happens when I shrink photos on my Samsung phone  :(

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 22:20:31 PM by RJR_38 »

Lachica

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2020, 08:14:25 AM »
I made hand sanitiser pouches. 7 of them, and forgot to photo even one of them before wrapping :facepalm:
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

BrendaP

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2020, 11:56:17 AM »
@RJR_38  that book cover is gorgeous, especially with the contrasting spine.  I'm sure your sister will love it
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2020, 11:59:48 AM »
A stocking for baby Myah - pink and silver to match her mum's choice of other decorations.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2020, 12:43:25 PM »
My wallhanging with the angels got almost nowhere as I ran out of time (actually each angel has a body and one arm, but that's it!)  Now I have other things to do, so a Christmassy wallhanging will inevitably get put away for later in the year I think.

I did, however, make two dresses for our goddaughters and a bag for their Mum, all done for Christmas and within December, so I will put entries for those up soon.  Ish.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

fajita

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2020, 12:49:29 PM »
I made some table placemats with the help of both sewing and embroidery machines and hand finished bindings. A bit of cotton fabric and rayon thread.
We used them for Xmas meal.

Your User Name and Entry Number (if entering have more than once )Fajita

What is it and for whom (if applicable)Table place mats, for my own Christmas table

Pattern/kit/instructions used (commercial or self-drafted, anything goes)Design from Embroidery Library, sewn on V3 machine, finished on Bernina sewing machine, binding finished by hand sewing

Materials and tools used(pictures welcome particularly of unusual tools)Made from cotton bought before Christmas with non specific Christmas usage in mind

A short description on how you made it, any problems overcome etc.Very basic piece. Wadding and cotton embroidered on machine. Cotton backed. Quilted just enough to hold together.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 10:12:53 AM by fajita »

Acorn

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2020, 13:52:59 PM »
Ooh - I could also add my fairy lights mask (embroidered, not LED)! 

cakeymcdoodle

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2020, 15:17:41 PM »
I made a hat for the 4 year old. She asked for a red hat with pink stripes, specific enough that Santa had to make one rather than buy one. I found French terry and cut it out a few days before using another hat that fits. Sewed in about half an hour on Xmas Eve! She loves it. And is wearing it backwards with the band seam at the front, obviously.

ETA template:

Your User Name and Entry Number (if entering have more than once )
Cakeymcdoodle, entry 1

What is it and for whom (if applicable)
A hat for my 4 year old daughter.

Pattern/kit/instructions used (commercial or self-drafted, anything goes)
No pattern, cut pieces to look like a woolly hat that already fits her.

Materials and tools used(pictures welcome particularly of unusual tools)
French Terry, red with pink stripes. Sewing machine and four pins.

A short description on how you made it, any problems overcome etc.
I sewed the points together first, being careful to match stripes, then both sides. The short seam of the ban was sewn then the whole band folded over and pinned to the main hat in neat quarters. All sewn with a lightening stitch, no finishing of seam allowances needed.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 07:40:42 AM by cakeymcdoodle »

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2021, 16:44:47 PM »
Hiya folks, don't forget that you have this week to sort photos and write an entry for the
Creating for the Festive Season (Dec 1-31 2020) contest.
Rememeber....
Rules: Create a festive item (or items) by sewing, knitting, crochet, weaving, leatherwork or any other crafty pursuit you enjoy. This can be anything handcrafted whether it be a gift, clothing or decorative item.
Timeframe: Construction starts on Tuesday 1st December and the item must be completed by Thursday 31st December.
You can post pictures of your item as soon as its completed, or wait until the end of the construction time. All entries need to be uploaded with the template and at least one photo by Sunday 10th January.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 12:06:58 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Kenora

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2021, 14:16:37 PM »
Your User Name : Kenora's entry

What is it and for whom : I made a cover for our Christmas tree base and a number of snowflakes and gold decorations for the tree.

Pattern/kit/instructions used : The cover was self-drafted and the decorations were made from patterns downloaded from Embroidery Library and Designs by JuJu.

Materials and tools used : I bought the quilting cotton for the cover a long time ago in our local Sewing Studio, and the snowflakes were made with ordinary sew-all thread. The gold tree decorations were made with Marathon thread.

A short description on how you made it, any problems overcome etc. :

The stand for the Christmas tree is an old TV stand which DH shortened by chopping the legs off and adding castors. To disguise it I wanted a cover which could be taken off easily and stored with the normal decorations. I used a good quality quilting cotton, then folded the corners inwards and created eyelets on the sewing machine for the red ribbon. This holds the corners together. Then I bound the edges with shop-bought red bias binding. It's a very simple construction but it works fine.

I used my embroidery unit to stitch out a variety of snowflakes and tree decorations. I used OESD Aquamesh to support the designs while they were stitching, then washed it away and allowed the decorations to dry flat. I've never made these before so I quite enjoyed it although it was a bit of a steep learning curve as to which thread to use. The first snowflake I made I used old Sylko 40 weight white mercerised cotton. This proved to be far too thick and the machine struggled a little, but it did stitch out. I swapped to my usual Gutermann sew-all thread, and the machine was a lot happier.

The only problem I had was self-inflicted! For some obscure reason I oiled my machine before stitching out one of the snowflakes. A stupid thing to do because the oil stained my lovely white snowflake and even after a lot of washing it hasn't really come out. Why I did it I have no idea - it's certainly not something I would do normally when dressmaking or quilting. I've also found that there are so many different shades of gold thread on the market. I'm not entirely happy with the colour of the thread I used (although the thread itself is fine) but it's very difficult to tell when you're buying entirely online.

I couldn't take photos previously because the decorations and the cover were in use on the tree, which we've only just taken down, but they did look very pretty and I'm quite pleased with them.

Edited to change thread details - it was Marathon, not Madeira.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 14:14:06 PM by Kenora »
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Acorn

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2021, 16:24:41 PM »
Acorn's First Entry

I made dresses for our goddaughters, aged 3.5 and 2.

The pattern was Bulle Dress by Detailor, Copenhagen (via Etsy).  The fabric was from Ebay in the end - I spotted it in an online shop but they didn't have enough, and I trawled the internet until I found some more!  It's a very nice quality navy corduroy with gold and pink hearts.

The pattern was not easy.  The front is all one piece, so there are two points, one on each side, at the middle edge of the pleats, where there is almost no fabric in one part of the seam, on a corner.  I took one look and thought that as soon as one of the girls knelt on the front of her dress this would come apart, so I reinforced it and added trim over the top to hide the extra stitches.

The pleats were also a nightmare.  Again, because the front is all one piece, the pleats don't hang straight down, but are angled,  It must have taken me 8 attempts on each dress before I managed to get them to hang nicely.

As always, I put a hidden message inside each dress, made with my embroidery machine:

I gave the dresses to them a few days before Christmas, and they wore them on the day.  They liked them, and they looked gorgeous!

... and just to prove that there were two of them...

Acorn

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2021, 16:43:26 PM »
Acorn's Second Entry

I made a bag for the goddaughters' Mum for Christmas.

I used measurements from a bag I already have and drafted the pattern myself - it is very simple, a square tote bag with a flat bottom and a lining.  The fabric is a fairly heavyweight navy woven cotton, with a quilting weight cotton lining, and embroidery done using my machine on both sides of the bag and on the inside (because why should little girls be the only ones who get secret messages?)

I was initially going to use a different embroidery design - one with a hen and chickens that says 'Thankful, blessed and a little bit stressed', but realised in time that the white areas on the pattern were not stitched, but allowed the fabric to show through, which clearly wouldn't work on the navy background.  I changed to the floral bird and fox patterns. 

I had done the bird one before and knew it would be fine, but only realised after I had started the fox that it, too used the fabric showing through for the white areas of the tail, chest and ears.  I managed to place some white cotton between the fabric and the embroidery, and hand stitched over the top when it was finished. 

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2021, 09:04:44 AM »
Wow, lots of fantastic entries!
Today is the last day to post your entries and I'll get started on the voting thread!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2021, 09:47:04 AM »
@WildAtlanticWay , @RJR_38 , @BrendaP, @fajita, @Kenora
Thanks for posting pictures of your projects, they are great. Please can you edit your posts to include the answers to the template so I can show them on the voting thread.

fajita

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2021, 10:14:32 AM »
@SewRuthieSews Ive updated my entry. Hope it’s now sufficient.  :*