The Sewing Place

Skirt Dilemma - Which One Do I Make?

Helen M

Skirt Dilemma - Which One Do I Make?
« on: November 25, 2020, 15:23:13 PM »
I'm planning on making a Style Arc Canterbury skirt with some animal print viscose twill but am unsure so wonder what anyone's thoughts would be.

Main worry is altering the length as I am only 5'1". I thought of removing seam allowance on skirt top and the main piece but I think I need 1-2" off the length so do I just take it from the hem or slit the skirt piece somewhere in the middle?

Also the side zip goes up through waistband which I've not done before, but as I'm low waisted would really prefer to put waistband on last so should I put zip in to finish at waist and put a hook and eye on the overlapping waist band?

My other thought was to make the Fibremood Hettie with only one tier? I've made a toile of both skirt tops for size as I've not made a skirt in at least a decade!

My last thought was is the 'droopy hem' style a bit out of date now? I was thinking of eliminating the 'droop' from the back.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 15:32:14 PM by Helen M »
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

sewingj

Re: Skirt Dilemma - Which One Do I Make?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 16:04:20 PM »
At risk of sounding negative I think both of those would look best on someone very tall but I do prefer the first one

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 16:10:33 PM »
At risk of sounding negative I think both of those would look best on someone very tall but I do prefer the first one

This. I am a couple of inches taller than you and I find any skirt with horizontal seams seams very unflattering.

I also prefer the first one.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 16:12:52 PM by Goth Gardiner »
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 16:26:46 PM »

Same here, wouldn't suit me too old but the other one would look even worse. I think there is an age range for this kind of skirt, plus the ability to carry it.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Helen M

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 17:43:41 PM »
Thanks for the input.

I have a floaty summery one with a droopy front and like wearing it and have one like the fibremood too. I'm a size 6-8 and wear both with close fitting tops like the one in the Style Arc drawing. I suppose it's the complications of the pattern that is putting me off the droopy one.

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 18:21:41 PM »
I like the first one.... easy to chop off the bottom if you don’t want the uneven hemline.... I like the wonky hem.... it’s proportion that matters, make it the longer length, try it on and see if you like it.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 18:23:28 PM by Efemera »

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 18:24:24 PM »
I agree with @Efemera - I prefer the first one.  I'm on the fence over droopy hems - I like them, but sometimes they annoy me.  I think being petite your height won't be an issue.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 18:45:28 PM »
I'm with everyone else in preferring the first one.

Alter at the bottom - just cut of the required amount from the bottom edge keeping the new cutting line parallel to the existing one.  That will preserve the correct asymetric line of the pattern although it will reduce the overall flare slightly - which shouldn't be an issue as you are short.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Vezelay

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 22:41:30 PM »
I actually like the Fibremood one best. The skirt on the model looks like cotton and your viscose fabric would have more drape and flow to it than hers. It depends on your shape but personally I would find that more flattering, including the tiers. I've fond memories of owning similar skirts in times past. Plus I'm not a big fan of asymmetric hems and Style Arc instructions are minimal at the best of times without doing tricky alterations.

But hey, minority view as everyone else prefers the first and I haven't worn a skirt in years. ;)

Helen M

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 10:56:26 AM »
That was my thinking too about the gathered tiered skirt @Vezelay. The original pattern has 2 tiers and I've seen pictures which show them draping well. The pic I posted was the only one I could copy and I don't think the fabric choice is the best. Mine has a nice drape.

I think I'll make up the Fibremood in some viscose that I no longer like and see how it looks.

I've only recently come back to wearing skirts especially in hot weather as they are far more comfortable than shorts (longish ones) or pants and for some reason I don't feel like I'm dressed to go to the beach which I do with shorts. This one will be worn with black tights and maybe long suede boots. The top is a fine ribbed polo neck that ended between hip and waist but I'll wear it our rather than tucked in.

Helen M

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 10:58:08 AM »
Alter at the bottom - just cut of the required amount from the bottom edge keeping the new cutting line parallel to the existing one.  That will preserve the correct asymetric line of the pattern although it will reduce the overall flare slightly - which shouldn't be an issue as you are short.

@BrendaP I was thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to reduce some of the flare.

Vezelay

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 15:39:34 PM »
Helen, just to be clear - I didn't realise the pattern has two tier options (if you see what I mean). For me I'd probably choose the version shown in your picture but that's just a personal style preference. Make whatever you're happiest with. And the viscose you no longer like might just turn into your favourite skirt ever. :)

Helen M

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 16:25:50 PM »
It is the single tier that I'd planned to make @Vezelay. I think the double tier lends itself more for summer although I've seen a beauty on Instagram made in a navy and camel zebra print.

Catllar

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 20:29:45 PM »
I've made a skirt just like the Style Arc one. I'm 5'6" and I evened off the bottom hem as it was too long with the asymmetric hem. The bias cut diagonal yoke looks great, on the other hand. Subtle.

Be fine to put the zipper up to top of skirt and then finish the band with hook and eye or a button.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 20:36:15 PM by Catllar »
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

William

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2020, 13:52:31 PM »
Hello-

I really do not think that this is a question of size. The first is more of a classic skirt, not something that will be cancelled by fashion. Also, my personal preferance is against strong horizontals, for what my 2 cents are worth...

William David
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.