The Sewing Place

Skirt Dilemma - Which One Do I Make?

jen

Re: Skirt Dilemma - Which One Do I Make?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2020, 14:16:01 PM »
I’ve made a fair few skirts with a diagonal yoke and flared effect and they have been flattering on both me and the other recipient of my efforts, each of us 5 foot 4 and in the 36/38 inch hip range if that helps. Diagonals are supposed to encourage a longer, leaner look, whereas yokes straight across define width, so where the yoke hits is important.

Helen M

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2020, 20:46:21 PM »
Thanks for all your advice! After procrastinating for far too long I cut out the Style Arc one this afternoon.  Time will tell if I've made the right decision! I may even up the hem @Catllar, so thank you for that suggestion. After I cut the skirt I was able to see where to level up so drew a pencil line on the pattern piece just in case. I think I'll level the back anyway even if I leave the front.

Will post if it turns out okay!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 73

Helen M

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2020, 12:18:54 PM »
Well I've just finished it and I'm happy with result! Will post a photo later.

Vezelay

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2020, 14:27:36 PM »
Excellent! Your Christmas skirt :).

Helen M

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2020, 15:26:49 PM »
Sorry just a hanging photo at the moment.

I levelled up the back as planned and took 3.5" off the centre 'point' of the front droop tapering it to the right seam (that was a straight line anyway) which made the point slightly more to the centre then gently tapered the other side to where the droop started, somewhere close to the centre front.

The length was left as per pattern apart from the droopy point which was almost floor length on me before trimming!

Had numerous issues with zip, mainly user error as I haven't used on in decades, and having initially tried to use the wrong invisible zipper foot that was left from my original machine, almost 30 years ago. :o 

The Kenneth D King YouTube tutorial was great, I had the foot he used already and the haemostats he talks about. Also substituted a longer (1") zip than pattern suggested which is part of the knack and have made a mental note to always do that in future!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 15:43:54 PM by Helen M »

SkoutSews

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2020, 19:13:25 PM »
Very nice! Are you going to wear it tomorrow?

Helen M

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2020, 19:30:33 PM »
I haven't quite decided yet! I have a lovely red cowl neck sweater dress that I like to wear at Christmas as it is so comfy, but I'll wait and see, it's really chilly round here tonight so we'll see.

Acorn

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2020, 19:53:13 PM »
Lovely!   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Vezelay

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2020, 22:28:18 PM »
That'll be lovely with a plain top and a pair of boots Helen. Drapes really well. I'd be pleased.

Is everyone dressing up tomorrow? It's a bit too chilly here for anything but my usual brushed fleece toaster sweater over long sleeved tee plus double leggings.