The Sewing Place

Grinding noise

annieeg

Grinding noise
« on: November 27, 2020, 13:37:28 PM »
If an old metal Pfaff machine (pfaff 1475) which has been in storage for a loong time, makes a grinding  noise when used - should I worry?
It switches on, and stitches well (including emboidery stitches), but it does make a noise as it stitches (more so that my less old Pfaff 2134. 
Should I oil it or just run it for a while to see if it settles down?
Any guidance would be most appreciated.
Annie

Iminei

Re: Grinding noise
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 14:12:01 PM »
Pfaffs do make an unusual noise when stitching ... like grinding glass, in my opinion, It quite alarmed me the first time I heard it ...  but I think that is just their quirk as the stitching is, as you say, beautiful

Im now going to prepare to take shelter from all the abuse Im about to receive from Pfaff owners!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

WendyW

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 14:54:56 PM »
I also had a Pfaff 1475 and sewed on it for 25yrs. A couple years ago it started making a loud grinding noise when I sewed at higher speeds. Nothing else wrong with it, but when I started going fast this horrendous noise would shout out at me. Very unnerving. Felt like I was torturing my best friend!

My Pfaff dealer could find nothing wrong with it. Acted like I was nuts. I demonstrated the problem. They still couldn't find anything. Went from that shop directly to the local sew-and-vac shop and gave a demonstration and thorough explanation. They dug into it, changed out some belts and cleaned out some things and said it was fixed. Got it home, started sewing. Sounded great for about 30min, then the noise started again. At that point hubs took me shopping for a new machine, and my daughter got the old one. She only does small projects and mending, and never sews as fast as I do, so it should last her for many more years. (3yrs later and I still miss the old machine. The new Pfaff and I have never reached the same level of love.)

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 15:06:04 PM »
Pfaffs do make an unusual noise when stitching ... like grinding glass, in my opinion, It quite alarmed me the first time I heard it ...  but I think that is just their quirk as the stitching is, as you say, beautiful

Im now going to prepare to take shelter from all the abuse Im about to receive from Pfaff owners!!!

Actually @Iminei  my Pfaff Select 4 always gives the impression it is thinking about it before it starts although I have to say the Bernina Overlocker has the same affliction, bit of an rrrr and she goes..
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

snoozi soozi

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 16:22:45 PM »
Well I would like to join in here and say that my old Janome squeaks. It eases off the more I sew but it's done it ever since I adopted it, about 6 years, and I can't ask the previous owner as she died.

Am I right in thinking that Janome's are self-oiling? (@Iminei ......)?

Every so often it worries me to the point of opening everything up and having a good look but apart from that it runs sweet as a nut  :thinking:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 16:32:23 PM »
I think pretty much any electronic/computerised machine doesnt require oiling ... but what do I know???

Lords Sewing are the font of all knowledge!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 16:34:06 PM »
@WendyW , I still use my Pfaff 1475 daily.  It's a lovely machine, and I'm dreading the time that it grows old, and I can no longer sew on it.  The only time it ever makes strange noises, is if the thread jumps out of take up lever and it grinds and grumbles until I sort it out!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

annieeg

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 17:11:31 PM »
Here's a picture of the Pfaff 1475 which I acquired today!  (I had plans to buy a new Pfaff, but when this came up I just could NOT resist it.)
I paid £115 on a spares and repair basis and I thought it worth the risk :ninja: :ninja:
Anyway, I hope i haven't wasted my precious pennies....

@Mr Twingo :  do Pfaffs have "bearings", I have a dreadful feeling that the noise could be the bearings are wearing out.....

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 17:38:01 PM »
OOOOooo @annieeg I'm very jealous!  I love my 1475cd!

If you ever get bored with it I'll happily take it off your hands!  :thumbsup:

Only problem I've ever had with mine has been the footpedal - these are quite expensive to replace.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Kenora

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2020, 17:38:47 PM »
I think pretty much any electronic/computerised machine doesnt require oiling ... but what do I know???

@Iminei - I oil both my Berninas before starting a new project, but my previous Janome was self-oiling - no oiling points in sight anywhere! :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2020, 19:02:40 PM »
Top loading bobbin machines don’t need oiling.  Those with a separate bobbin case do need oiling. 
One waytobe sure is check the manual.  If it doesn’t mention oiling it doesn’t need it so don’t because you could ruin it! 

@annieeg i hope it isn’t the bearings!   That often shows it hasn’t been serviced regularly and the bearings haven’t been greased.  The only way to find out is get it in for a service.  They’ll soon tell you!  :)

Mr Twingo

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2020, 09:24:55 AM »
@Mr Twingo :  do Pfaffs have "bearings", I have a dreadful feeling that the noise could be the bearings are wearing out.....

Perhaps this video will help? It's for the 1473, so may be useful.

If yours is the same, and the bushing has failed, then I see no reason why it can't be replaced with bearings. They are readily available, cheap, and come in many sizes.

annieeg

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2020, 12:01:50 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  Brief update .. I've been trying this out this morning just to check its working and I notice the faster I press the pedal the quieter the machine is.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 12:09:46 PM by annieeg »

sewmuchmore

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2020, 18:35:18 PM »

Lords Sewing are the font of all knowledge!

You are right, BUT, they do need greasing. When they are manufactured all the moving bits inside get a coating of grease which in time dries out. This is why you should have them serviced.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet