The Sewing Place

Door Hanging

Acorn

Door Hanging
« on: May 22, 2017, 16:10:43 PM »
I've finished it!  It was months in the planning, but then only took a few days to make.  These glazed doors separate our kitchen and dining room, but I like to hide one or the other at times (ie when there's sewing all over the dining room, or a mess all over the kitchen).  I collect Cornishware, and this design fits in with the kitchen very well.

The jugs are appliqued onto the backing fabric, and the flowers embroidered.  There is a plain backing on the dining room side.  The strange marks are reflections!

I do have another one to make now though - they're double doors.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Francesca

Re: Door Hanging
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 16:16:42 PM »
Cute idea! I'd have never thought of that. We have glass between loads of our doors (original Victorian doors, I expect they had stained glass at some point, now gone).

Holly Berry

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 19:01:03 PM »
Great idea, they look really good.
Procrastination get behind me

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 21:22:36 PM »
They are lovely!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 21:49:49 PM »
They are lovely and they do reflect Cornishware!  A great idea, nicely done  :toast:
Willing but not always able :)

Maximum

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 21:55:08 PM »
What a lovely and totally unique solution, how did you attach it on the dining room side as it looks so flat?

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 22:08:04 PM »
Thank you for all your kind words!  I have to admit that I got the idea from a book.   :)

It's attached with a net rod - the sort that hangs on L-shaped, screw-in thingies (apparently that is the technical term).  Mr Acorn screwed them in further than they normally go so that it hangs right up against the door, and I also starched it.

Zigzag

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 22:25:59 PM »
Congratulations  :toast: your door looks fabulous <3

fajita

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 22:37:29 PM »
That is such a lovely idea. Well thought out and executed. The second one will be much easier now you've had a practice.

crooknees

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 11:01:37 AM »
Very original and they look lovely. Well Done :flower: :flower:
 :toast:

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 11:30:17 AM »
Fabulous!

Do you have some swanky embroidery machine to achieve that or have you FMQ 'ed  it ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 12:02:11 PM »
No, the embroidery is hand sewn - just chain stitch, blanket stitch and French knots.

I'm still scared stiff of FMQ-ing.   :|

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 12:06:15 PM »
Really nice idea Acorn.  We have glass panelled doors too.  Great when there's just family, but not when a visitor goes to the loo, and finds glass panels (they are frosted!).

Before we had the bathroom done, I had a blind behind the door.  I've got a new one, but OH is sluggishly dragging his heels...

Maybe something similar to this is the answer.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 12:14:54 PM »
No, the embroidery is hand sewn - just chain stitch, blanket stitch and French knots.

Oh WOW!!!

Im completely in AWE of you... R E S P E C T !!!

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pinkstar

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 19:48:29 PM »
That is fabulous Acorn  <3 <3