The Sewing Place

Old Singer 28k - should I keep it?

WildAtlanticWay

Old Singer 28k - should I keep it?
« on: November 27, 2020, 18:29:46 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  DH spotted this in a local charity shop and bought it for me as my ‘Christmas present’.

He thinks he’s doing me a favour but I think it will end up being a dusty ornament. It has bits missing and I think he paid too much (€40) but he’s delighted with himself, so I’m pretending to be pleased for now.  :rolleyes:

I can clean it and it appears to work (handle moves and needle goes up and down), although I’ve never used that type of shuttle before.

Should I try to replace the missing bits and keep hold of it?

« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 10:39:14 AM by WildAtlanticWay »

steve_h

Re: Old Singer 28k - should I keep it?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 19:25:23 PM »
They are nice old machines. Designed to last forever with normal maintenance. As you know, straight stitch only and no reverse. Once everything is set, they make wonderful stitches. Pretty much anything you could ever need for it is available as new repro, old stock, or used on ebay.
My mother used her grandmother's into the '70's before she got a modern electric with zig-zag. She made all sorts of stuff on it. They were designed back in the treadle days and don't like high speed. With reasonable care, hers was 100% reliable and never saw a shop as long as she could remember.
If you like the antique machines and would like to be able to use it, by all means keep it and use it. It's got a lot of harp space. I've seen them being use for piecing quilts and even free motion quilting. If it's a treadle, you can still sew when there is a power cut if you can see.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 22:56:18 PM by steve_h »

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 10:14:27 AM »
That's a plus, no electricity required @WildAtlanticWay I have this fear of the lights going out and not being able to sew.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Helen M

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 10:23:19 AM »
If you have the space @WildAtlanticWay I'd keep it. I think it's the same or almost to the 27/127k that belonged to my great grandmother and was passed on to my Mum, does it have a domed cover, Mum's had the box shaped with a 'roof'. I learned to sew on it and remember the long shuttle! Mum often turned to it for a better stitch than her newer 'electric' machine when she made coats. She gave it to a charity shop about 20 years ago as I'd stopped sewing back then and had no room for it, I often regret that. I found a bobbin in her sewing box when we were clearing out things.

I remember the bobbin cover having 'Patented in 1887' engraved on it!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 11:54:39 AM by Helen M »
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 10:32:36 AM »
It would be cruel not to keep a present.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 10:46:09 AM »
It let me attach the picture today.

Can anyone advise where to buy replacement parts please?

Also, is there a way to find out where it was made? DH is from Glasgow and wondered if it could have been made in Clydebank?

In Ireland, you find both American stuff as well as U.K. stuff in the charity shops due to lots of people from the south west of Ireland having left for the States during the famine years. This area was the hardest hit during the famine.

StitchinTime

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 10:55:59 AM »
There’s a list of Singer serial numbers on the ISMACs website which will confirm the model number and tell you when those serial numbers were allocated. I think a “k” at the end of the model number indicates it was made in the Kilbowie factory in Scotland.
http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/serial-numbers/singer-sewing-machine-serial-number-database.html

StitchinTime

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 11:12:53 AM »
What parts are missing? The obvious one I can see from the photo is the front bobbin cover which can be got from Helen Howes.
http://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk/vstsplates.html

Edit: SewLincs also have spare parts for a 28k but the front plates seem to be sold out.
https://www.sewlincs.co.uk/28k/cat4628660_3735821.aspx
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 11:17:23 AM by StitchinTime »

KayK

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 11:33:26 AM »
I have one of these, which came complete with one bobbin, but the shuttle was still there!.  The needle plates are a bit wobbly, but it does the most beautiful of stitches, and is generally happy with any thread. The bobbins are probably the only things that are in short supply, but I too give a big vote for Helen Howes!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

LeilaMay

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 11:41:42 AM »
Looks like it begins with letter R ? Or is it a K?
Either would make it Scotland  :)

Helen Howes can help with parts. Lots of info here abut cleaning and servicing. Lots of folks will help with info.

I would get it working and keep it - it's in nice condition.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 11:44:31 AM by LeilaMay »

BlueCat

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 12:06:22 PM »
I sold one recently, only because I didn’t have the room for it (and others).   :'( It sewed the best stitch, was good to have in case of power cuts, easy for young children to use and the watching the bobbin winding was mesmerising  :P

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2020, 13:47:29 PM »
Thank you. I knew you lovely people would have all the right answers.  :thumbsup:

I think I was a bit taken aback when he bought it because I’d just ordered a brand new Brother sewing machine the day before and hadn’t mentioned it to him yet.  :|

So it looks like I’ve yet another project to be working on over the winter months.  :laughing:

Elnnina

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2020, 14:46:56 PM »
WildAtlanticWay many years ago now when my daughter was still very much a child, I bought an old singer hand crank for her to use, and of course between her and her brother they messed about with it and lost the front needleplate.  Needless to say I was not amused, and in order for it to be still used I found some very thick cardboard and cut this to shape from the back cover, and this slotted in beautifully, I then passed this machine on to someone else complete with the cardboard still place, and years later the missing needleplate came to light and I was able to give this to my friend.  At that time there simply wasn't the interest in the old vintage machines and I didn't think that any sewing machine shop would have any parts - I may have been wrong, but the cardboard certainly served its purpose.

steve_h

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2020, 02:46:23 AM »
I have seen the sliding shuttle cover plates and the needle throat plate available new repro and used on ebay.
It is very nearly the same machine as the 27, which I have, but with a few updates. Model number with K after indicates Kilbowie factory as was mentioned earlier and the ISMACS listing will give you when that batch of serial numbers was released.
I bought a new repro replacement shuttle with 5 bobbins for mine a couple months ago. Works like a champ. Mine was at some point unfortunately converted to electric so I don't get to enjoy using the treadle.

HooliganHeart

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 14:42:14 PM »
Parts are easy to find for these  :thumbsup: It looks a keeper to me also  :thumbsup: Good hubby i say  :thumbsup: